Mom battles school over kids' "punishment t-shirts"
Jessica Rocha, of Fort Morgan, told CBS Denver, that officials at Green Acres Elementary School made her stepdaughter and her son cover up the shirts, which read "I steal" and I am disrespectful."
Rocha contends the school interfered with her right to discipline her children. She said the kids came up with the idea themselves as a form of punishment.
Rocha said she's at her wits end about discipline.
"We have tried everything," Rocha told CBS Denver.
She says her 8-year-old stepdaughter and 9-year-old son were continually misbehaving at home.
"We have tried taking toys away, we've tried grounding them from TV," Rocha said.
So as a new approach to punishment she sent them to school wearing those t-shirts stating what they had done wrong.
"It says 'I am disrespectful,' and then it says 'disrespectful' and the definition," she said, describing the boy's t-shirt.
Her stepdaughter wore a shirt with her own message.
"It says 'I steal.' "
Rocha said the shirt was met with some criticism from school officials and the child was told to cover up the message, according to CBS Denver.
"The principal seemed to have a personal problem with it," Rocha said.
She feels that school overstepped its bounds when it comes to her parenting and says that the shirts didn't disobey the dress code.
"So, it's okay for the school to do it because they're professionals, they have a degree. But it's not okay for a parent to draw attention to her child to make her child answer for what he or she has done."
Rocha said the behavior of her children has improved since the shirts were made. She said she'll continue to send them to school wearing the t-shirts as a form of punishment when they misbehave.
Photo - punishment shirt worn by Jessica rocha's son - cbs denver
- Jodi Arias to speak on own behalf as jury weighs death
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Jodi Arias, convicted killer, asks jury to spare her life
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Jodi Arias makes her opening statements to the jury
- Jodi Arias Lawyer: Defense won't call more witnesses
- Jury deliberates possible death sentence for Jodi Arias
- Iowa Cops: Man suspected of abducting 2 girls found dead
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Jodi Arias talks about suicide, what she'll do with her life in prison
- Family of accidentally slain Hofstra student critical of cops
- Report: Texas girl dies after being abandoned in hot car
- Utah police close Susan Powell case, offer new details
- Man charged with murder in case of missing Maine girl, 15
- Report: Slain Conn. student Alyssiah Wiley found dismembered
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web