Michelle Parker Update: Missing Fla. woman's family files wrongful death lawsuit against ex-fiancÚ
(CBS) ORLANDO, Fla. - The family of Michelle Parker, a Central Fla. mother who vanished in 2011 on the same day an episode aired of her appearing on "The People's Court," has filed a wrongful death lawsuit against her ex-fiancÚ - the prime suspect in her disappearance, CBS affiliate WKMG reports.
A lawsuit has been filed against Dale Smith Jr., the last person to see Parker and the man who has custody of the couple's twins. Although Smith has been called a prime suspect in Parker's disappearance, he has not been arrested and no charges have been filed against him.
The wrongful death lawsuit alleges Smith is responsible for the death of Parker, who was last seen in November 2011.
"This is really about accountability and people answering questions that really haven't been answered yet," John Morgan, the lawyer who represents Parker's family, said.
Morgan said the lawsuit is aimed at getting Smith to talk, the station reports.
Parker was reported missing after the airing of a pre-recorded episode of the TV show "The People's Court," which featured her and Smith in a dispute over her engagement ring.
Attorney Mark NeJame, who represents Smith in the lawsuit, says his client has told police all he knows about Smith's disappearance.
"There's simply nothing that links Dale Smith to Michelle Parker's disappearance or death," NeJame said. "It's not going to go anywhere. This is going to be an exercise in futility."
Since Parker's disappearance, several searches have been launched in an effort to locate her. None have been successful.
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- "Anonymous" vows to petition Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Cops: Utah teen arrested in death of his 2 brothers
- Ex-teacher on FBI 'Most Wanted' list due in court in porn case
- Jodi Arias jury: We can't decide sentence
- Fla. man accidentally calls 911 and reveals murder plan
- Cops: Mom arrested for stripping during school assembly
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Ronald Poppo, victim of "cannibal attack," thanks doctors
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Police recover backpacks of 2 kidnapped Iowa girls
- Third Calif. law student charged in Vegas bird killing
- 13-yr.-old girls targeted in Minn. abduction attempts
- Cops: NY man rescued after being held for ransom
- Cops: Barbara Walters' daughter charged with DUI in Fla.