Junius Walker, Va. state police trooper, fatally shot during traffic stop, police say
(CBS/AP) DINWIDDIE, Va. - A Virginia state police trooper was shot to death during a traffic stop on Thursday. Authorities said the alleged gunman is in police custody.
Master Trooper Junius Walker, 63, was shot off Interstate 85 in Dinwiddie County. State Police spokeswoman Corinne Geller said 28-year-old Russell Brown was found hiding at a business about a half-mile away and is currently held without bond at the Meherrin River Regional Jail in Alberta.
Walker, a 35-year state police veteran, is the 59th member of the Virginia State Police killed in the line of duty in its 81-year history.
"Master Trooper Walker was a highly-respected and long-time veteran of our Department, which has made his shocking death especially hard on the Virginia State Police family," said Col. W. Steven Flaherty, the State Police superintendent.
Walker was patrolling alone and called for backup after being fired upon just before 1:30 p.m. The second trooper arrived within two minutes and saw a male suspect firing into Walker's marked police vehicle, which was down an embankment off the southbound lanes of the interstate near the woods, Geller said.
The second trooper fired at the suspect, who fled into the woods. Brown was found nearby and was arrested before 2 p.m.
Gov. Bob McDonnell expressed condolences to Walker's wife, two daughters and the rest of his family, friends and colleagues.
"Virginia has lost a brave public servant and hero," McDonnell said.
Geller said Brown was charged with one count each of capital murder of a police officer, attempted capital murder of a police officer and two felony firearm counts.
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Meeting Jodi Arias: First impressions never lie, or do they?
- Ariel Castro's lawyer says he'll plead not guilty
- Creighton Univ. professor, wife, found slain in Omaha home
- Cops: Hofstra student died in police-involved shooting
- 'Kai the hatchet-wielding hitchhiker' arrested
- 17-year-old charged with murdering two Ohio brothers
- "The War in Chicago": A 48 Hours investigation
- Jodi Arias jury finds killing merits possible death penalty
- Arias jury hears of anguish from murder victim's family
- Defense lawyer: Jodi Arias will speak "about who she is"
- Cops: DNA confirms remains those of Ga. college freshman
- Boy, 12, appears in court in sister's fatal stabbing
- Texas woman's body found 2 days after 911 call
- Berlusconi "bunga bunga" parties detailed at Italian trial
- Cops: N.M. mom chased her daughter's abductor for 7 miles