N.J. police investigate cell phone video showing cop punching woman
(CBS/WCBS) ELIZABETH, N.J. - A cell phone video allegedly caught a police officer in New Jersey punching a woman in the face outside of a nightclub in Elizabeth.
"I was very shocked, very shocked that a cop would hit a woman like that. And I was disappointed because that's an authority figure," the witness who recorded the video reportedly told CBS New York. The witness requested to remain anonymous.
The witness said several fights broke out as club-goers exited Club Envy on North Broad Street. The melee spilled onto the sidewalk outside the Wells Fargo bank across the street. The police officer is seen pushing a man to the ground and a woman steps in telling the officer not to hit the man, CBS New York reports.
According to the station, the witness said the officer seen punching the woman in the face was one of at least three police officers trying to control the crowd. She said the unidentified woman was drunk, but didn't appear to be a threat to the officer.
"I don't think he was in danger, not at all. And there was two more cops to the right that were Macing people. He could have easily asked one of them to come over here," the witness said.
The mayor of Elizabeth told CBS New York the matter is still under investigation by Internal Affairs.
The police officer remains on active duty, the station reports.
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Jury deliberates possible death sentence for Jodi Arias
- Iowa Cops: Man suspected of abducting 2 girls found dead
- Mom of Hailey Dunn, missing teen found dead, speaks out
- Jodi Arias talks about suicide, what she'll do with her life in prison
- Massive search underway for abducted teen in Iowa
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Cops: Barbara Walters' daughter charged with DUI in Fla.
- "Anonymous" vows to petition Kaitlyn Hunt case
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Cops: NC woman tried to poison family members' cheese
- Arias to jury: Alexander's death "the worst mistake of my life"
- Man charged with murder in case of missing Maine girl, 15
- Jodi Arias to speak on own behalf as jury weighs death
- Report: Slain Conn. student Alyssiah Wiley found dismembered