N.J. police investigate cell phone video showing cop punching woman
(CBS/WCBS) ELIZABETH, N.J. - A cell phone video allegedly caught a police officer in New Jersey punching a woman in the face outside of a nightclub in Elizabeth.
"I was very shocked, very shocked that a cop would hit a woman like that. And I was disappointed because that's an authority figure," the witness who recorded the video reportedly told CBS New York. The witness requested to remain anonymous.
The witness said several fights broke out as club-goers exited Club Envy on North Broad Street. The melee spilled onto the sidewalk outside the Wells Fargo bank across the street. The police officer is seen pushing a man to the ground and a woman steps in telling the officer not to hit the man, CBS New York reports.
According to the station, the witness said the officer seen punching the woman in the face was one of at least three police officers trying to control the crowd. She said the unidentified woman was drunk, but didn't appear to be a threat to the officer.
"I don't think he was in danger, not at all. And there was two more cops to the right that were Macing people. He could have easily asked one of them to come over here," the witness said.
The mayor of Elizabeth told CBS New York the matter is still under investigation by Internal Affairs.
The police officer remains on active duty, the station reports.
- Report: Okla. teen vanishes while hiking in South America
- Report: NFL player questioned in death investigation
- 4 accused of holding mother, child captive in Ohio
- Atty: Martin family confident Zimmerman will be convicted
- Ariel Castro, alleged Cleveland kidnapper, appears in court
- Walter Lee Williams is 500th on FBI's "Most Wanted" list
- Police: Boy, 13, killed sister, 5, with wrestling moves
- One of US FBI's most wanted nabbed in Mexico
- Calif. widow's home broken into 14 times, says she's leaving
- Cops: Fla. man beaten, robbed, left naked on first date
- Report: College student kept girl, 13, in his room for a month
- Okla. inmate executed in the 2000 death of a couple
- Steubenville teen rapist must register as sex offender
- Bulger Trial: Admitted killer Martorano calls self "nice guy"
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, to be released
- "Modern-day slavery" case "all lies," suspect's mom says