Cheryn Scaggs, Fla. mom, accused of drinking at bar while kids slept in car, cops say
(CBS) DeBARY, Fla. - Cheryn Scaggs was arrested early Monday on allegations of leaving her two children - ages 1 and 4 - alone in a car in freezing temperatures while she drank inside a bar for at least two hours, CBS affiliate WKMG reports.
Scaggs, 30, of DeBary, Fla., was arrested on charges of child neglect after a deputy drove by Shotz Sports Bar & Grill in DeBary around 2 a.m. and noticed a crowd gathering in the parking lot. According to the station, Scaggs had asked others to help her get home from the bar, but once they got outside they found the girls sitting in the back seat of Scaggs' SUV, police said.
The car was not running and it was 30 degrees outside, according to officials, who confirmed the girls were checked out and found to be OK.
WKMG reports witnesses said Scaggs had gone outside a couple of times during the two-hour span, but never told anyone that the girls were in her car, according to deputies. Scaggs reportedly told one witness that she had left the children with a neighbor.
After Scaggs' arrest, her brother, James Cox, was called to pick up her two daughters.
Cox told WKMG that he felt his sister's actions were irresponsible and unnecessary.
"I was available," he said. "If she really had to go out that bad she could have came to me."
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Meeting Jodi Arias: First impressions never lie, or do they?
- Ariel Castro's lawyer says he'll plead not guilty
- Jodi Arias jury finds killing merits possible death penalty
- 'Kai the hatchet-wielding hitchhiker' arrested
- "The War in Chicago": A 48 Hours investigation
- Creighton Univ. professor, wife, found slain in Omaha home
- Cops: Hofstra student died in police-involved shooting
- 17-year-old charged with murdering two Ohio brothers
- Defense lawyer: Jodi Arias will speak "about who she is"
- Moxley's friend testifies in Skakel appeal trial
- Cops: DNA confirms remains those of Ga. college freshman
- Arias jury hears of anguish from murder victim's family
- Berlusconi "bunga bunga" parties detailed at Italian trial
- Texas woman's body found 2 days after 911 call
- Boy, 12, appears in court in sister's fatal stabbing