Two teens suspected of triple homicide in Wyoming
Park County Sheriff Scott Steward said 19-year-old Stephen Hammer and 18-year-old Tanner Vanpelt were arrested after neighbors gave deputies a description of two men seen entering the house where the victim's bodies were found.
The neighbors saw two vehicles speeding away, including a black Audi belonging to 40-year-old Ildiko Freitas, who owned the house with her husband.
Freitas and her parents, 69-year-old Janos and 70-year-old Hildegard Volgyesi, were found dead inside the house. At least two of the victims had been shot.
The sheriff issued a statement describing the Saturday shootings as "nothing short of cold-blooded murder." But he gave no indication of motive, and his office declined to release details, citing the ongoing investigation.
Thomas Volgyesi, the son of the two elder victims and brother to Freitas, said Monday that he knew of no connection between the suspects and his family.
One of the victims' neighbors, Robert Bushman, speculated that the suspects were interested primarily in stealing Freitas' Audi. He said another neighbor who had watched the suspects approach the residence estimated that they were in the house for 20 minutes at most.
Hammer and Vanpelt are currently being held at the Park County Detention Center in Cody, Wyoming. The two have not been charged with any crimes, but the Park County Attorney's Office says charges will be filed against both men either late on Monday, or on Tuesday morning before the men appear in court at 9 a.m., CBS affiliate KTVQ reports.
Vanpelt's father said Monday that his son had not been in serious trouble prior to his Saturday arrest. Robb Vanpelt said his son, Tanner, had not been living with him and the accusation he was involved in a triple homicide was "pretty much totally out of the blue."
Residents of the rural community dominated by ranching farming could not recall a murder in recent decades. The town has only a few businesses and no post office, and its roughly 300 residents are scattered across a broad river valley framed by the Beartooth Mountains that rise up to the west. The closest large towns, Powell and Cody, are more than 30 miles away.
- Jury foreman: Jodi Arias "not a good witness"
- Atty.: New Trayvon Martin texts, photos are "red herrings"
- Hung jury reportedly emotional at Jodi Arias trial
- W.Va. girl pleads guilty in the killing of Skylar Neese, 16
- Hung jury in Arias penalty phase, new panel to be chosen
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- Kaitlyn Hunt rejects plea deal in underage sex case
- Cops: N.Y. girl leaves suicide note claiming she was bullied
- School security guard allegedly pushes girl down stairs
- Investigator: Missing Iowa teen's blood found
- Woman guilty of stabbing fiance to death on wedding day
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Fla. man accidentally calls 911 and reveals murder plan
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Police: Boston math tutor also meth trafficker
- Iowa kidnapping suspect probed in cousins' 2012 deaths