Casey Anthony says she's "living free off the kindness of others" at bankruptcy hearing
Anthony made her remarks at a meeting with creditors in her bankruptcy case in Tampa. She also said she was unemployed.
"I don't pay rent. I don't pay utilities. I guess you could say I'm living free off the kindness of others," she said.
The 26-year-old Anthony hadn't made any public appearances since she left jail in July 2011 after being acquitted of murder in the death her 2-year-old daughter, Caylee.
Anthony filed for bankruptcy in January, claiming about $1,000 in assets and $792,000 in liabilities.
She said she lives with friends. When asked by a trustee if she bought her own food, Anthony replied, "I try to contribute when I can."
Speaking calmly in court, Anthony said she was living off money given to her by her former attorney and through unsolicited gift cards and money.
She said in 2008 she transferred her interest in about a dozen photos to her criminal attorney, and that he sold those photos to ABC for $200,000. The money helped pay for her defense, she said.
She appeared in court wearing a white, short-sleeve top, a black skirt and black heels. During the 50-minute long hearing, she consulted with her attorneys frequently.
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Jodi Arias Lawyer: Defense won't call more witnesses
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Cops: Hosftra student was killed by officer's gunshot
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Report: Boyfriend charged in murder of Conn. college coed
- Arias returns to court for penalty phase of trial
- Police: Ex-cop once hailed as hero charged with rape
- Meeting Jodi Arias: First impressions never lie, or do they?
- Cops: NYC man dead after "anti-gay" hate shooting
- Sources: Husband ordered cyanide before wife's death
- Jodi Arias: A timeline of a sensational murder case
- Ariel Castro's lawyer says he'll plead not guilty
- Colorado mob attacks man thought to be sexual predator
- Authorities search for missing URI student
- Creighton Univ. professor, wife, found slain in Omaha home