N.Y. girl, 7, stable after being stabbed by mom in possible murder-suicide attempt, police say
A Clarkstown police spokeswoman says investigators hope to talk to her about the tragedy but don't know when that will be.
Police say Ava Sangavaram suffered several stab wounds Thursday when her mother, podiatrist Victoria Vovchik, tuned on her at their upscale New City home.
They say Vovchik, 45, then stabbed herself to death.
Police aren't saying whether a motive has been detected. They say no note was found.
Police say the victims were discovered by Ava's father, Kristappa Sangavaram. He is a doctor from New Jersey. The school had alerted him that Ava was absent.
CBS New York reports that police say the father is not considered a suspect in the incident.
Police are not aware of any previous domestic or mental health issues, the station says. The incident remains under investigation.
- Hung jury in Arias penalty phase, new panel to be chosen
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Cops: Utah teen arrested in death of his 2 brothers
- Missing Univ. of Rhode Island student found safe
- Fla. man accidentally calls 911 and reveals murder plan
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Iowa kidnapping suspect probed in cousins' 2012 deaths
- Ex-teacher on FBI 'Most Wanted' list due in court in porn case
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- "Anonymous" vows to petition Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Ronald Poppo, victim of "cannibal attack," thanks doctors
- Prosecutors: Accused killer Kelly Soo Park is a "flight risk"
- Third Calif. law student charged in Vegas bird killing
- Zimmerman defense releases photos, texts of Trayvon Martin
- Jodi Arias jury: We can't decide sentence