N.Y. girl, 7, stable after being stabbed by mom in possible murder-suicide attempt, police say
A Clarkstown police spokeswoman says investigators hope to talk to her about the tragedy but don't know when that will be.
Police say Ava Sangavaram suffered several stab wounds Thursday when her mother, podiatrist Victoria Vovchik, tuned on her at their upscale New City home.
They say Vovchik, 45, then stabbed herself to death.
Police aren't saying whether a motive has been detected. They say no note was found.
Police say the victims were discovered by Ava's father, Kristappa Sangavaram. He is a doctor from New Jersey. The school had alerted him that Ava was absent.
CBS New York reports that police say the father is not considered a suspect in the incident.
Police are not aware of any previous domestic or mental health issues, the station says. The incident remains under investigation.
- 4 accused of holding mother, child captive in Ohio
- Walter Lee Williams is 500th on FBI's "Most Wanted" list
- Victim in Utah church shooting expected to survive
- Report: College student kept girl, 13, in his room for a month
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, to be released
- Bulger Trial: Admitted killer Martorano calls self "nice guy"
- N.M. Police: Grandmother unmasks robber, finds grandson
- Univ. of Chicago student missing for five days
- Italian high court gives reason for new Knox trial
- Mother beats man she believes molested her kids
- Cops: Utah man shoots father-in-law during Mass
- Digging resumes for Jimmy Hoffa remains today
- Report: Child sex sting in Florida nets 41 arrests
- Cops: Calif. math teacher had sex with boy multiple times
- Affidavit: Drug deal led to murder of Ind. teen
- Search for missing woman, 19, in Tempe, Ariz.