Coastal Carolina Shooting: University president mourns loss of sophomore Anthony Liddell, gunned down near campus
(CBS/AP) CONWAY, S.C. - The president of Coastal Carolina University, the South Carolina school where a sophomore student died Tuesday after a shooting near campus, released a statement Wednesday mourning the loss of Anthony Liddell as police continued to search for the student's killer.
Liddell, 19, died after the shooting around 7:20 p.m. Tuesday at a residence hall near the campus of Coastal Carolina University, spokeswoman Martha Hunn said. He was taken to Grand Strand Regional Medical Center in Myrtle Beach where he died.
According to the university's website, CCU President David DeCenzo expressed his condolences, saying, "Our thoughts and prayers go out to the family and friends of Anthony Liddell. Tragedies such as these anywhere in our society are senseless. Precious loss of life at such an early age affects us all. Our primary goal is to ensure the safety and security of our students. We will continue to do all that we can with all the resources necessary to make sure that our students are safe and secure. We only pray that an event like this never happens on our campus or any college campus again."
The State Law Enforcement Division was leading the investigation and the search for the shooter on Wednesday.
The school issued an alert using email and text messages around 8 p.m. Tuesday and residence halls were locked down overnight. But there was no apparent threat to students, faculty or staff on campus, Coastal Department of Public Safety Police Chief David Roper said.
Classes were to be held as planned Wednesday, the school said in a statement. CCU Counseling Services professionals and ministers were to be on hand to provide assistance to students.
Coastal Carolina University has an enrollment of more than 9,000 students. The liberal arts school was founded in 1954. According to the school's website, University Place houses where the shooting occurred houses nearly 2,000 students.
- Hitman testifies "Whitey" Bulger "broke my heart"
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, to be released
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, released from prison
- Cops: Utah man shoots father-in-law during Mass
- Embattled ex-Elmo puppeteer wins 3 Daytime Emmys
- Univ. of Chicago student missing for five days
- Affidavit: Drug deal led to murder of Ind. teen
- Calif. teacher accused of killing wife arrested after search
- Joseph Naso, 79, on trial in "Double Initial" murders
- Medical examiner resigns after 3 die in same hotel room
- Jimmy Hoffa search focuses on field in Detroit suburb
- Calif. school district wins $2.6M in "false rape" case
- Court revisits disputed 911 call in Zimmerman trial
- Funeral held for Md. girl who police say was raped, killed
- Coroner: Serial killer, the "Night Stalker," died of cancer
- Report: Child sex sting in Florida nets 41 arrests