New York man attacks wife with meat cleaver in broad daylight, police say
(CBS) -- A New York man was arrested Sunday after he allegedly attacked his wife with a meat cleaver in broad daylight on a street in Chinatown, CBS New York reports.
Ming Guang Huang, 28, was charged with attempted murder, assault and criminal possession of a weapon after police said he used the cleaver to attack his 23-year-old wife on Canal Street. The entire incident was caught on surveillance video, according to the station.
Firefighters who worked across the street at Engine Company 9, Ladder Company 6 rushed over as they witnessed the suspect dragging a crying woman.
"He pulls the cleaver out of his waistband and starts hacking at this woman," firefighter Jose Ortiz said. "We both bum rush him and get him against the fence."
Ortiz and firefighter Jim Trainor subdued the attacker and flagged down a passing police car. The victim took off and ran into a nearby spa business, CBS New York reports. Firefighter Shane Clarke grabbed a portable medical kit and caught her two blocks away where he treated the victim.
"She was very panicked," Clarke said. "We could see she had a really deep cut in the back of her head, wounds on her abdomen and torso."
The woman was rushed to Bellevue Hospital where she is listed in stable condition, the station reports.
"I'm happy we were there to help," Ortiz said. "I'm sorry we weren't able to stop the whole thing altogether."
- Hung jury reportedly emotional at Jodi Arias trial
- Hung jury in Arias penalty phase, new panel to be chosen
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- Woman guilty of stabbing fiance to death on wedding day
- Kaitlyn Hunt rejects plea deal in underage sex case
- Investigator: Missing Iowa teen's blood found
- Cops: Pa. couple stabbed each other over "American Idol"
- Missing Univ. of Rhode Island student found safe
- Plea deadline is today for Fla. teen Kaitlyn Hunt
- Fla. man accidentally calls 911 and reveals murder plan
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Swim coach Richard Curl gets 7 years for sex abuse
- Police: Boston math tutor also meth trafficker
- Iowa kidnapping suspect probed in cousins' 2012 deaths
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- N.J. cop accused of firebombing supervisor's home