MC Hammer Arrested: Rap artist questioned for driving car with expired registration, says he racially profiled
(CBS/AP) DUBLIN, California - Rap artist MC Hammer was arrested Thursday after a police officer noticed he was driving a car with expired registration. Hammer, whose real name is Stanley Burrell,described the incident as one of racial profiling.
Hammer tweeted on Saturday that an officer approached him in his car and asked "Are you on parole or probation?" He said that as he handed over his ID, the officer reached inside the car and tried to pull him out.
Dublin police Lt. Herb Walters told the Oakland Tribune that police approached Hammer at a gas station after realizing he was in a vehicle that had expired registration and was not registered to him.
Walters said Hammer became argumentative during the questioning and got angry when asked if he was on parole or probation, according to the Los Angeles Times.
Walters said that Hammer was arrested for investigation of obstructing an officer in the performance of their duties and resisting an officer. He declined to comment about Hammer's version of the arrest.
Hammer was released from jail after being booked and posting bail. He tweeted that he wasn't bitter and considered what happened "a teachable moment."
- Jodi Arias to speak on own behalf as jury weighs death
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Jodi Arias, convicted killer, asks jury to spare her life
- Jodi Arias Lawyer: Defense won't call more witnesses
- Jodi Arias makes her opening statements to the jury
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Iowa Cops: Man suspected of abducting 2 girls found dead
- Jodi Arias talks about suicide, what she'll do with her life in prison
- Jury deliberates possible death sentence for Jodi Arias
- Report: Slain Conn. student Alyssiah Wiley found dismembered
- Utah police close Susan Powell case, offer new details
- Report: Texas girl dies after being abandoned in hot car
- Family of accidentally slain Hofstra student critical of cops
- Man charged with murder in case of missing Maine girl, 15
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web