Robert Sand, No. 1 "deadbeat parent," pleads guilty to owing more than $1.2 million to three kids
Robert Sand, 50, pleaded guilty in U.S. District Court in Central Islip on Long Island to two counts of failing to pay child support. Assistant U.S. Attorney Alan Bode said the figure includes interest and penalties, and that the child support orders were in arrears since at least 2002.
"Neither court orders nor the familial bond meant anything to him as he fled to avoid his obligations," U.S. Attorney Loretta Lynch said in a statement.
Sand told the judge he fled first to Florida and then to Thailand, where he worked in an assortment of odd jobs. His attorney, Glenn Obedin, said his client grew tired of living on the run and contacted authorities late last year.
Sand then flew to the Philippines, where he was arrested and deported in November 2012 because he lacked proper identification, prosecutors said. He was sent to Los Angeles, where he was arrested by federal marshals, and then extradited to New York, where he was held without bail since December 2012.
"He had enough and wanted to come back and have the opportunity to make it right," Obedin said.
Sand faces up to four years in prison when he is sentenced in May.
Obedin said Sand contacted the two mothers of his three children, who claimed that their priority is for Sand to be free to earn a living so he can repay his debt. As part of the plea agreement, Sand is required to make full restitution. He waived his right to appeal the guilty plea.
Obedin said Sand has worked in the past as a car salesman and has an offer to work in that field when he is released.
- Jodi Arias jury: We can't decide sentence
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- "Anonymous" vows to petition Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Cops: Barbara Walters' daughter charged with DUI in Fla.
- Friend: Man charged in missing Maine teen's death knew her
- Report: Alleged prison gang leader impregnated 4 guards
- "Wonderful person": Funeral held for slain Hofstra student
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Ronald Poppo, victim of "cannibal attack," thanks doctors
- Death of infant son of religious couple ruled homicide
- Police recover backpacks of 2 kidnapped Iowa girls
- Massive search underway for abducted teen in Iowa
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Iowa Cops: Man suspected of abducting 2 girls found dead
- Mom of Hailey Dunn, missing teen found dead, speaks out