Robert Sand, No. 1 "deadbeat parent," pleads guilty to owing more than $1.2 million to three kids
Robert Sand, 50, pleaded guilty in U.S. District Court in Central Islip on Long Island to two counts of failing to pay child support. Assistant U.S. Attorney Alan Bode said the figure includes interest and penalties, and that the child support orders were in arrears since at least 2002.
"Neither court orders nor the familial bond meant anything to him as he fled to avoid his obligations," U.S. Attorney Loretta Lynch said in a statement.
Sand told the judge he fled first to Florida and then to Thailand, where he worked in an assortment of odd jobs. His attorney, Glenn Obedin, said his client grew tired of living on the run and contacted authorities late last year.
Sand then flew to the Philippines, where he was arrested and deported in November 2012 because he lacked proper identification, prosecutors said. He was sent to Los Angeles, where he was arrested by federal marshals, and then extradited to New York, where he was held without bail since December 2012.
"He had enough and wanted to come back and have the opportunity to make it right," Obedin said.
Sand faces up to four years in prison when he is sentenced in May.
Obedin said Sand contacted the two mothers of his three children, who claimed that their priority is for Sand to be free to earn a living so he can repay his debt. As part of the plea agreement, Sand is required to make full restitution. He waived his right to appeal the guilty plea.
Obedin said Sand has worked in the past as a car salesman and has an offer to work in that field when he is released.
- Jury foreman: Jodi Arias "not a good witness"
- Hung jury reportedly emotional at Jodi Arias trial
- Kaitlyn Hunt rejects plea deal in underage sex case
- Hung jury in Arias penalty phase, new panel to be chosen
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- Investigator: Missing Iowa teen's blood found
- Atty.: New Trayvon Martin texts, photos are "red herrings"
- Police: Boston math tutor also meth trafficker
- Woman guilty of stabbing fiance to death on wedding day
- Swim coach Richard Curl gets 7 years for sex abuse
- Cops: N.Y. girl leaves suicide note claiming she was bullied
- Cops: Pa. couple stabbed each other over "American Idol"
- Plea deadline is today for Fla. teen Kaitlyn Hunt
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- N.H. woman get 40 years in prison for child porn
- Ex-judge charged with stealing cocaine from cases