Las Vegas Strip Shooting Update: Police search for black Range Rover involved in "rolling gun battle"
(CBS/AP) LAS VEGAS - Police are now looking for a black Range Rover with tinted windows and dark rims after a "rolling gun battle" set off a multi-car accident, killing three, reports CBS affiliate KLAS.
Sgt. John Sheahan said the people in the Range Rover were shooting at people in a Maserati, and the driver of the Maserati was hit by gunfire and killed. The Maserati reportedly then crashed into a taxi, causing it to burst into flames and explode, killing the driver and passenger.
"There was a loud bang and I hear two other booms. I looked out my window at Caesars Palace ... and could see a fireball," said one witness.
In all, five vehicles were involved in the dramatic crash around 4:30 a.m. Thursday at Flamingo and Las Vegas boulevards, a wide intersection surrounded by some of the most famous casinos on the Strip, including the Bellagio, Caesars Palace and the Paris.
Several people were taken to the hospital, including a passenger from the Maserati. Four were taken to University Medical Center. Hospital spokeswoman Danita Cohen said three were treated and released, while one person remained in the hospital. Their condition was not released.
The intersection is expected to be closed for hours as officers investigate.
More people may be hurt, Sheahan said.
It's the latest in a series of violent actions on the tourist corridor since the beginning of the year. Two people were critically wounded in a shooting at a parking garage Feb. 6, and a tourist was stabbed in an elevator at The Hotel at Mandalay Bay Feb. 16.
- Hung jury in Arias penalty phase, new panel to be chosen
- Hung jury reportedly emotional at Jodi Arias trial
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- Missing Univ. of Rhode Island student found safe
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Woman guilty of stabbing fiance to death on wedding day
- Fla. man accidentally calls 911 and reveals murder plan
- Cops: Utah teen arrested in death of his 2 brothers
- Iowa kidnapping suspect probed in cousins' 2012 deaths
- Cops: Pa. couple stabbed each other over "American Idol"
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Prosecutors: Accused killer Kelly Soo Park is a "flight risk"
- Zimmerman defense releases photos, texts of Trayvon Martin
- Ronald Poppo, victim of "cannibal attack," thanks doctors
- Investigator: Missing Iowa teen's blood found