Ryan Waterman, Fla. man, arrested for allegedly harassing a manatee
(CBS/AP) FORT PIERCE, Fla. - Ryan William Waterman, a 21-year-old Fla. man, is charged with harassing a manatee calf after photos he posted to Facebook showed him lifting the animal out of the water and allowing a child to ride it, CBS affiliate WPEC reports.
Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) investigators filed charges with the State Attorney's Office for the incident, which took place in Taylor Creek in St. Lucie County in January. Waterman was arrested Sunday.
According to the station, a citizen tipped off FWC investigators after Waterman posted images to Facebook showing him and two young children petting a manatee calf. They also show Waterman lifting the calf partially out of the water and a child sitting on top of the manatee.
"I'm really sorry for what I done. And I just tried havin' a good time with my daughters and I really would never try to harm something like that, you know," Waterman told WPEC.
Waterman told the station that although he's lived in Florida for his entire life, he wasn't aware that it was against the law to touch a manatee. He said he's done it before.
The Florida Manatee Sanctuary Act makes it illegal to injure, harm, harass, capture or attempt to capture a Florida manatee.
A St. Petersburg woman was arrested in October 2012 after video showed her riding a manatee in Fort Desoto Park.
Harassment of a manatee in Florida is a second-degree misdemeanor punishable by a $500 fine or up to 60 days in jail, WPEC reports.
More on Crimesider
Nov. 26, 2012 - Ana Guiterrez Update: Fla. woman photographed riding a manatee arrested for violating state law, police say
Oct. 3, 2012 - Ana Guiterrez, Fla. woman photographed riding a manatee, turns herself in to authorities, police say
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Jodi Arias, convicted killer, asks jury to spare her life
- Jury deliberates possible death sentence for Jodi Arias
- Jodi Arias makes her opening statements to the jury
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Iowa Cops: Man suspected of abducting 2 girls found dead
- Jodi Arias talks about suicide, what she'll do with her life in prison
- Jodi Arias to speak on own behalf as jury weighs death
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Man charged with murder in case of missing Maine girl, 15
- Arias to jury: Alexander's death "the worst mistake of my life"
- Family of accidentally slain Hofstra student critical of cops
- Mom of Hailey Dunn, missing teen found dead, speaks out
- Report: Slain Conn. student Alyssiah Wiley found dismembered
- Utah police close Susan Powell case, offer new details
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web