Los Angeles Freeway Shooting Update: Police say four dead including gunman after shooting spree
Orange County sheriff's spokesman Jim Amormino said the shootings began at 4:45 a.m. Tuesday when deputies responding to a call found a female shot multiple times in a house in Ladera Ranch.
Three more people were fatally shot in the next 25 minutes after carjackings in Tustin and Santa Ana.
According to Amormino, the motive for the shootings is still unclear and it's also unclear if any of the victims knew each other or the shooter.
"It might have been a random thing," Amormino said. "We just don't know."
One of the slayings occurred after a pickup truck taken by the carjacker began to run out of gas, and he stopped at State Route 55 and McFadden Avenue in Santa Ana, said Santa Ana Police Cpl. Anthony Bertagna.
"He gets out of the vehicle, confronts our victim who is in his BMW, he orders him out of the vehicle, walks him to the side of the curb and executes our victim," Bertagna said.
The shooter then drove to a Tustin business called Micro Center. A utility-type pickup was then carjacked, one person was killed, and another wounded, Garaven said.
Officers located the suspect and followed him into the city of Orange. When officers tried to stop him, he got out of the vehicle and killed himself, Garaven said. A shotgun was recovered at the scene.
Authorities did not have details about all the victims.
"There have been other people coming forward saying they were shot at or their cars were shot at," Garaven said but none had reported any serious injuries.
Of the wounded, two were described as having serious injuries and one was said to be minor.
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Jodi Arias jury: We can't decide sentence
- "Anonymous" vows to petition Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Ronald Poppo, victim of "cannibal attack," thanks doctors
- Report: Alleged prison gang leader impregnated 4 guards
- Police recover backpacks of 2 kidnapped Iowa girls
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Cops: Mom arrested for stripping during school assembly
- Army: Soldier charged with videotaping women at West Point
- Cops: Barbara Walters' daughter charged with DUI in Fla.
- Friend: Man charged in missing Maine teen's death knew her
- Massive search underway for abducted teen in Iowa
- 13-yr.-old girls targeted in Minn. abduction attempts
- Death of infant son of religious couple ruled homicide
- Report: Fla. man stops to steal beer during police chase