James Wells, Alaska man, accused of killing two Coast Guard employees in 2012
James Michael Wells, 61, of Kodiak is accused in a federal murder complaint of killing Petty Officer 1st Class James Hopkins and retired Chief Boatswain's Mate Richard Belisle on April 12, 2012.
"At the time of the incident, Jim Wells was actively employed as a civilian Coast Guard employee at the communications station," Coast Guard spokeswoman Sara Francis said late Friday from Kodiak. She said she didn't know his current employment status.
Nancy Wells, the suspect's wife, said Saturday that her husband is innocent. She told The Associated Press she expects her husband "will be fully exonerated."
"I have full faith in my husband's innocence," she said. "I have no faith in the quality of the investigation."
Hopkins, 41, was an electronics technician from Vergennes, Vt. Belisle, 51, was a former chief petty officer who continued service in the Coast Guard as a civilian employee.
Another Coast Guard member found the victims shortly after the two would have arrived for work at the station, which monitors radio traffic from ships and planes. Their bodies were found in the rigger building, where antennas are repaired.
The Kodiak Island Coast Guard base is home to cutters, helicopters and rescue swimmers that aid mariners in the Bering Sea and Pacific Ocean.
FBI agents immediately flew to Kodiak Island from Anchorage, about 250 miles away, to investigate the case as a double homicide.
Wells' arrest came after "an extensive investigation" led by the FBI and the Coast Guard Investigative Service, with support from the Alaska State Troopers, U.S. Attorney Karen Loeffler said in a statement.
Wells is expected to appear in court next week in Anchorage, Loeffler said.
The FBI spokesman declined to comment on a possible motive, what led investigators to focus on Wells or whether any other arrests were expected.
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- Jodi Arias jury: We can't decide sentence
- "Anonymous" vows to petition Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Cops: Mom arrested for stripping during school assembly
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Fla. man accidentally calls 911 and reveals murder plan
- Ronald Poppo, victim of "cannibal attack," thanks doctors
- Police recover backpacks of 2 kidnapped Iowa girls
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Report: Alleged prison gang leader impregnated 4 guards
- 13-yr.-old girls targeted in Minn. abduction attempts
- Army: Soldier charged with videotaping women at West Point
- Cops: Barbara Walters' daughter charged with DUI in Fla.
- Cops: NY man rescued after being held for ransom
- Report: Fla. man stops to steal beer during police chase