Joe Hundley, Idaho man, charged with assault for allegedly slapping a crying toddler on a plane
In an affidavit filed in U.S. District Court, FBI special agent Daron Cheney says Joe Rickey Hundley, 60, of Hayden Idaho, slapped the 2-year-old boy during a Delta Air Lines flight from Minneapolis on Feb. 8
The child's mother, 33-year-old Jessica Bennett, of Minneapolis, told authorities the boy was crying as the plane prepared for landing. Bennett says Hundley was sitting next to her and slapped the boy in his face, causing a scratch under his right eye. She says Hundley used a racial epithet while demanding her to quiet the boy.
Hundley "told her to shut that ('N word') baby up," Cheney said in the affidavit. "Ms. Bennett received assistance from several people on the plane, including male passenger Todd Wooten," Cheney said.
Wooten was seated rows in front of Bennett and said he came to help after he heard derogatory language being used behind him, according to court documents. Bennett said the infant began crying louder after he was slapped.
District attorneys officials say Hundley was not taken into custody and it is unclear when the case will go to court.
"We think that it is important to let the case develop, and we'll see how it all comes out," Hundley's attorney Marcia Shein said Friday.
Hundley was president of a division of AGC Aerospace, an airplane parts manufacturer. The company issued a statement which did not name him, but called the alleged behavior offensive and saying he was "no longer employed by the company," though it's not clear whether he was fired or resigned.
- Ex-Playmate pleads guilty in immigrant smuggling case
- Report: Okla. teen vanishes while hiking in South America
- Report: NFL player not ruled out as suspect in murder probe
- FBI finds possible human remains at mobster's former home
- Missing Univ. of Chicago student's body found in lake
- Calif. teen, once honored, now murder suspect, cops say
- Report: Calif. man stabs father, cuts off his own hands
- Mother of La. girl allegedly killed by brother speaks out
- "Modern-day slavery" case "all lies," suspect's mom says
- Report: College student kept girl, 13, in his room for a month
- Ariel Castro, alleged Cleveland kidnapper, appears in court
- Cleveland kidnap victims may get state govt. payments
- Details surface about Zimmerman jury candidate pool
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, to be released
- Steubenville teen rapist must register as sex offender
- Okla. inmate executed in the 2000 death of a couple