Susan Powell Case: Josh Powell's brother commits suicide in Minnesota, report says
Kiirsi Hellewell, a friend of Josh Powell's estranged sister, said he jumped to his death from a Minneapolis parking garage Monday. The Hennepin County medial examiner's office confirmed Wednesday the victim was 30-year-old Michael C. Powell.
Josh Powell was the prime suspect in the disappearance of his wife, Susan Powell, who vanished in Utah in 2009. The sensational case took an even more bizarre turn as Powell's father, Steve, went on national television and claimed he and Susan had been falling in love, and as Susan Powell's parents fought for custody of their grandchildren.
Josh Powell was living in Pierce County, Wash., on Feb. 5, 2011, when he locked a social worker out of his home, attacked his two young sons with a hatchet and set the house ablaze. Days earlier, a court had ordered that Powell undergo an intensive psycho-sexual evaluation as part of the custody dispute.
Michael Powell's suicide came a week after dozens of relatives and supporters gathered for a candlelight vigil to mark the anniversary of the boys' death.
Before his death, Michael Powell had been involved in a court fight with Susan's parents, Chuck and Judy Cox, over the proceeds of a life insurance policy Josh Powell took out on himself and the boys, 7-year-old Charlie and 5-year-old Braden.
Steve Powell is in prison after being convicted of voyeurism for secretly recording neighbor girls as they showered and used the bathroom.
- Hung jury reportedly emotional at Jodi Arias trial
- Jury foreman: Jodi Arias "not a good witness"
- Hung jury in Arias penalty phase, new panel to be chosen
- Kaitlyn Hunt rejects plea deal in underage sex case
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- Investigator: Missing Iowa teen's blood found
- Woman guilty of stabbing fiance to death on wedding day
- Cops: Pa. couple stabbed each other over "American Idol"
- Police: Boston math tutor also meth trafficker
- Plea deadline is today for Fla. teen Kaitlyn Hunt
- Swim coach Richard Curl gets 7 years for sex abuse
- Atty.: New Trayvon Martin texts, photos are "red herrings"
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Fla. man accidentally calls 911 and reveals murder plan
- Missing Univ. of Rhode Island student found safe
- Cops: N.Y. girl leaves suicide note claiming she was bullied