Michael Velez, alleged getaway driver, found not guilty in death of NYPD officer Peter Figoski
Velez was accused of acting as the getaway driver the night of the slaying on Dec. 12, 2011, and faced second degree murder and burglary charges. He was facing 25 years to life in prison.
Velez testified in his own defense and said he thought he was just giving the other men a ride.
Lamont Pride, the man accused of killing Figoski, was acquitted Monday of intentionally murdering the officer. However, he was found guilty of lesser charges of second-degree murder, burglary and aggravated manslaughter.
Prosecutors said Pride and four others plotted to rob a drug dealer who lived in a basement apartment in Brooklyn, but were interrupted by police.
As Pride tried to escape, he came face-to-face with Figoski, who was shot once in the head. Figoski died later at a hospital. Prosecutors said Figoski, who was undercover, never even drew his own weapon. Pride's defense claimed the shooting was an accident.
Figoski is survived by daughters Christine, Caitlyn, Caroline and Corrine. More than $600,000 was raised for a scholarship fund to help pay for their education.
- 4 accused of holding mother, child captive in Ohio
- Walter Lee Williams is 500th on FBI's "Most Wanted" list
- Victim in Utah church shooting expected to survive
- Report: College student kept girl, 13, in his room for a month
- Bulger Trial: Admitted killer Martorano calls self "nice guy"
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, to be released
- N.M. Police: Grandmother unmasks robber, finds grandson
- Cops: Calif. math teacher had sex with boy multiple times
- Search for missing woman, 19, in Tempe, Ariz.
- Mother beats man she believes molested her kids
- Italian high court gives reason for new Knox trial
- Cops: Fla. man beaten, robbed, left naked on first date
- Univ. of Chicago student missing for five days
- Police: Boy, 13, killed sister, 5, with wrestling moves
- Report: Child sex sting in Florida nets 41 arrests
- Ohio day care worker charged with drugging kids' snacks