Jodi Arias Trial: Jury hears sexually explicit phone calls in Arizona woman's murder trial
(CBS/AP) - Jurors heard a sexually explicit phone recording Tuesday between Jodi Arias and the man she is accused of killing.
Arias, 32, could face the death penalty if convicted of first-degree murder in the killing of Travis Alexander.
She is expected to resume testimony Wednesday after spending five days on the witness stand where she described intimate details of her relationship with Alexander as well as her childhood.
The recording was taped by Arias several weeks before the June 2008 killing and ranged from raunchy talk to banter about "Batman" and "Spider-Man" movies. Arias was reportedly giggly in the recording as the two joked, exchanged stories and sang an Alanis Morissette song to each other.
Later on Tuesday she testified about beatings she allegedly suffered at the hands of Alexander, recounting a time he choked her into unconsciousness. But Arias never went to a hospital for the injuries she claims she suffered, never reported anything to police, and jurors have yet to hear from any witnesses or view any evidence establishing a history of the victim's violence or supposed interest in child pornography.
Alexander's friends say Arias is lying.
Arias said she didn't stop having sex with him after he became abusive because she loved him.
"I was making a string of bad choices during that time in my life," Arias said.
Prosecutors claimed that Arias killed Alexander in a jealous rage, stabbing and slashing him 27 times, slitting his throat and shooting him in the head in his suburban Phoenix home. After changing her story several times, Arias now claims she killed Alexander in self defense after he attacked her, forcing her to fight for her life.
- Jury deliberates possible death sentence for Jodi Arias
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Iowa Cops: Man suspected of abducting 2 girls found dead
- Jodi Arias talks about suicide, what she'll do with her life in prison
- Jodi Arias makes her opening statements to the jury
- Jodi Arias to speak on own behalf as jury weighs death
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Mom of Hailey Dunn, missing teen found dead, speaks out
- Jodi Arias, convicted killer, asks jury to spare her life
- Arias to jury: Alexander's death "the worst mistake of my life"
- Man charged with murder in case of missing Maine girl, 15
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Family of accidentally slain Hofstra student critical of cops
- Report: Slain Conn. student Alyssiah Wiley found dismembered
- Jodi Arias: A timeline of a sensational murder case