Jodi Arias Trial: Jury hears sexually explicit phone calls in Arizona woman's murder trial
(CBS/AP) - Jurors heard a sexually explicit phone recording Tuesday between Jodi Arias and the man she is accused of killing.
Arias, 32, could face the death penalty if convicted of first-degree murder in the killing of Travis Alexander.
She is expected to resume testimony Wednesday after spending five days on the witness stand where she described intimate details of her relationship with Alexander as well as her childhood.
The recording was taped by Arias several weeks before the June 2008 killing and ranged from raunchy talk to banter about "Batman" and "Spider-Man" movies. Arias was reportedly giggly in the recording as the two joked, exchanged stories and sang an Alanis Morissette song to each other.
Later on Tuesday she testified about beatings she allegedly suffered at the hands of Alexander, recounting a time he choked her into unconsciousness. But Arias never went to a hospital for the injuries she claims she suffered, never reported anything to police, and jurors have yet to hear from any witnesses or view any evidence establishing a history of the victim's violence or supposed interest in child pornography.
Alexander's friends say Arias is lying.
Arias said she didn't stop having sex with him after he became abusive because she loved him.
"I was making a string of bad choices during that time in my life," Arias said.
Prosecutors claimed that Arias killed Alexander in a jealous rage, stabbing and slashing him 27 times, slitting his throat and shooting him in the head in his suburban Phoenix home. After changing her story several times, Arias now claims she killed Alexander in self defense after he attacked her, forcing her to fight for her life.
- Report: NFL player questioned in death investigation
- Report: Okla. teen vanishes while hiking in South America
- 4 accused of holding mother, child captive in Ohio
- Atty: Martin family confident Zimmerman will be convicted
- Walter Lee Williams is 500th on FBI's "Most Wanted" list
- Ariel Castro, alleged Cleveland kidnapper, appears in court
- Police: Boy, 13, killed sister, 5, with wrestling moves
- One of US FBI's most wanted nabbed in Mexico
- Cops: Fla. man beaten, robbed, left naked on first date
- Calif. widow's home broken into 14 times, says she's leaving
- Report: College student kept girl, 13, in his room for a month
- Okla. inmate executed in the 2000 death of a couple
- Steubenville teen rapist must register as sex offender
- Bulger Trial: Admitted killer Martorano calls self "nice guy"
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, to be released
- Cleveland kidnap victims may get state govt. payments