Murder trial begins for Timothy Davis Sr., ex-Orlando police officer accused of killing adult son
Davis Sr. is charged with second-degree murder in the shooting death of Timothy Davis Jr. during an argument on October 1, 2011.
In opening statements on Tuesday, Davis wiped tears from his eyes as prosecutors told jurors Davis said that he "didn't mean to kill him. I just lost it, lost it."
Surveillance video shows Davis Sr. walking to his car, grabbing a gun and then firing a shot at his son. Prosecutors say Davis killed his son when an argument between the two men got out of control.
The defense said in opening arguments that Davis Jr., who stood at 6 feet 2 inches and 285 pounds, beat up his father and injured him, which led to the shooting.
"You're going to see the force of this young man just beating, beating, beating his father," defense attorney Robert Nesmith said in court. "Before Mr. Davis could fall, he is being grabbed by his knees, picked up and power driven into the floor."
WKMG reports Davis Sr. says he shot his son in self-defense, telling police investigators that one bullet was meant as a warning shot and that the second shot was an accident.
On Wednesday, Tarsha Davis, the wife of Timothy Davis Sr., gave emotional testimony and had to be escorted out of the courtroom after being asked how many children she has, WKMG reports.
- Jury foreman: Jodi Arias "not a good witness"
- Matt Baker, "Murdering Minister," Gets 65 Years for Killing Wife
- Hung jury reportedly emotional at Jodi Arias trial
- Atty.: New Trayvon Martin texts, photos are "red herrings"
- Matt Baker Trial: Ex Mistress Vanessa Bulls Says Preacher Killed Wife
- Hung jury in Arias penalty phase, new panel to be chosen
- W.Va. girl pleads guilty in the killing of Skylar Neese, 16
- Investigator: Missing Iowa teen's blood found
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- Kaitlyn Hunt rejects plea deal in underage sex case
- Cops: N.Y. girl leaves suicide note claiming she was bullied
- School security guard allegedly pushes girl down stairs
- Iowa kidnapping suspect probed in cousins' 2012 deaths
- Woman guilty of stabbing fiance to death on wedding day
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship