Murder trial begins for Timothy Davis Sr., ex-Orlando police officer accused of killing adult son
Davis Sr. is charged with second-degree murder in the shooting death of Timothy Davis Jr. during an argument on October 1, 2011.
In opening statements on Tuesday, Davis wiped tears from his eyes as prosecutors told jurors Davis said that he "didn't mean to kill him. I just lost it, lost it."
Surveillance video shows Davis Sr. walking to his car, grabbing a gun and then firing a shot at his son. Prosecutors say Davis killed his son when an argument between the two men got out of control.
The defense said in opening arguments that Davis Jr., who stood at 6 feet 2 inches and 285 pounds, beat up his father and injured him, which led to the shooting.
"You're going to see the force of this young man just beating, beating, beating his father," defense attorney Robert Nesmith said in court. "Before Mr. Davis could fall, he is being grabbed by his knees, picked up and power driven into the floor."
WKMG reports Davis Sr. says he shot his son in self-defense, telling police investigators that one bullet was meant as a warning shot and that the second shot was an accident.
On Wednesday, Tarsha Davis, the wife of Timothy Davis Sr., gave emotional testimony and had to be escorted out of the courtroom after being asked how many children she has, WKMG reports.
- Ex-Playmate pleads guilty in immigrant smuggling case
- Report: Okla. teen vanishes while hiking in South America
- FBI finds possible human remains at mobster's former home
- Report: NFL player not ruled out as suspect in murder probe
- Missing Univ. of Chicago student's body found in lake
- Calif. teen, once honored, now murder suspect, cops say
- Mother of La. girl allegedly killed by brother speaks out
- Details surface about Zimmerman jury candidate pool
- Cleveland kidnap victims may get state govt. payments
- Ariel Castro, alleged Cleveland kidnapper, appears in court
- Report: College student kept girl, 13, in his room for a month
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, to be released
- Report: Calif. man stabs father, cuts off his own hands
- Steubenville teen rapist must register as sex offender
- "Modern-day slavery" case "all lies," suspect's mom says
- Okla. inmate executed in the 2000 death of a couple