Hadiya Pendleton Update: Tip from inmate led police to arrest two men charged in Chicago teen's death, report says
The inmate reportedly tipped off police to pick up a recent parolee who ultimately told police 20-year-old Kenneth Williams and 18-year-old Michael Ward admitted to shooting Pendleton after mistaking her and a group of her friends as being part of a rival gang, the paper reports.
Police threatened the parolee with a return trip to prison if he didn't reveal the names of others who could corroborate his story, the source reportedly told the paper.
Williams and Ward were taken into custody early Sunday morning. They were charged Monday with first-degree murder in the death of 15-year-old Hadiya after confessing that they mistook her and her friends for members of a rival gang. Police say they attacked the group in retaliation for a shooting that injured one of them over the summer.
Hadiya was killed just days after she performed at events for President Barack Obama's inauguration. First lady Michelle Obama attended her funeral.
Hadiya's parents were among the First Lady's guests at the capitol Tuesday night for the State of the Union address. In his speech, the President called special attention to Hadiya's death.
"She was 15 years old. She loved Fig Newtons and lip gloss. She was a majorette. She was so good to her friends, they all thought they were her best friend. Just three weeks ago, she was here, in Washington, with her classmates, performing for her county at my inauguration. And a week later, she was shot and killed in a Chicago park after school, just a mile away from my house," Obama said.
- Hung jury in Arias penalty phase, new panel to be chosen
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Cops: Utah teen arrested in death of his 2 brothers
- Ex-teacher on FBI 'Most Wanted' list due in court in porn case
- Fla. man accidentally calls 911 and reveals murder plan
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Missing Univ. of Rhode Island student found safe
- Third Calif. law student charged in Vegas bird killing
- Cops: Mom arrested for stripping during school assembly
- "Anonymous" vows to petition Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Jodi Arias jury: We can't decide sentence
- Zimmerman defense releases photos, texts of Trayvon Martin
- Iowa kidnapping suspect probed in cousins' 2012 deaths
- Ronald Poppo, victim of "cannibal attack," thanks doctors
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship