Boy, 9, killed, two women injured, in apparent random shooting in near St. Paul, police say
(CBS/AP) OAKDALE, Minn. - A Minnesota man is accused of killing a 9-year-old boy and wounding two women while randomly shooting at vehicles on Monday evening, police said.
The 34-year-old Oakdale man was arrested several blocks away from the crime scene, which reportedly spanned six blocks. Police said a handgun and ammunition were recovered.
Oakdale police spokeswoman Michelle Stark said investigators are looking for additional spent gun casings and damage in the apparent random shooting.
Police said the suspect opened fire at passing vehicles near a Rainbow Foods store at about 6:10 p.m. Monday.
The boy and his 39-year-old mother were struck in one vehicle. A 68-year-old woman in another vehicle was shot in the hand. All were taken to Regions Hospital, where the boy died of his injuries, Stark said. The women are expected to recover.
Officials said a team of counselors is talking to students at Oakdale Elementary where the 9-year-old boy attended school. District 622 spokeswoman Jennifer McNeil said about a dozen social workers and psychologists are helping students cope with the loss of their fourth-grade classmate.
McNeil said students are shaken up and "some of the kids are taking it pretty hard."
Police have not released the names of the boy or the wounded women.
- Jury deliberates possible death sentence for Jodi Arias
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Iowa Cops: Man suspected of abducting 2 girls found dead
- Jodi Arias makes her opening statements to the jury
- Jodi Arias, convicted killer, asks jury to spare her life
- Jodi Arias talks about suicide, what she'll do with her life in prison
- Jodi Arias to speak on own behalf as jury weighs death
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Mom of Hailey Dunn, missing teen found dead, speaks out
- Arias to jury: Alexander's death "the worst mistake of my life"
- Man charged with murder in case of missing Maine girl, 15
- Family of accidentally slain Hofstra student critical of cops
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Report: Slain Conn. student Alyssiah Wiley found dismembered
- Jodi Arias: A timeline of a sensational murder case