VIDEO: Fla. school bus beating caught on camera
(CBS) PASCO COUNTY, Fla. - A school bus beating in Florida was caught on video, posted on Facebook, and ultimately got two high school girls arrested, CBS affiliate WTSP reports.
The confrontation happened Feb. 1 as students of Mitchell High School, in Pasco County, Fla., were being dropped off at home. Video captured on a cell phone shows a teenage girl dressed in all black running to the back of the bus and repeatedly punching 16-year-old Chase Cristia, who never retaliated, WTSP reports.
The instigator of the attack, who remains unnamed, is charged with misdemeanor assault and the teen that shot the video, Sandra, is charged with a lesser offense for knowing of the fight, but not intervening, the station says. Both are reportedly suspended from school.
It is unclear why the bus driver did not make an effort to stop the attack as it was happening.
"It was pretty loud and it was noticeable, so I don't see how the bus driver wouldn't have been able to notice that," Cristia told WTSP.
Transportation officials told the station the fight lasted all of 10 seconds and there was not enough time for the driver to react.
An investigation is reportedly underway while the driver of the school bus remains on the job.
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Meeting Jodi Arias: First impressions never lie, or do they?
- Cops: Hofstra student died in police-involved shooting
- Ariel Castro's lawyer says he'll plead not guilty
- Berlusconi "bunga bunga" parties detailed at Italian trial
- Arias jury hears of anguish from murder victim's family
- 17-year-old charged with murdering two Ohio brothers
- 'Kai the hatchet-wielding hitchhiker' arrested
- Defense lawyer: Jodi Arias will speak "about who she is"
- Creighton Univ. professor, wife, found slain in Omaha home
- Hofstra Univ. student, suspect killed in home invasion
- Boy, 12, appears in court in sister's fatal stabbing
- Texas woman's body found 2 days after 911 call
- Wife guilty of murder for pushing husband out window
- Jodi Arias Trial: Jury weighs "cruelty" factor
- Cops: N.M. mom chased her daughter's abductor for 7 miles