Denver Shooting: Police say Mayra Perez, 23, shot and killed two of her children, then herself
(CBS/AP) DENVER - Police on Thursday identified 23-year-old Mayra Perez as the woman who allegedly shot and killed two of her young children before taking her own life in their Denver home earlier this week. A third child survived the attack but remains in critical condition.
The medical examiner's office said Perez's 4-year-old daughter died of multiple gunshot wounds and her son, who was nearly 2, died of a single gunshot wound.
The surviving child, 2-year-old Isabel Perez, was hospitalized in critical condition in a deep coma, said Dr. Claudia Kunrath of Denver Health.
Relatives said that on Tuesday night, Perez quarreled with her husband, who left their home to calm down. He found the bodies when he returned early Wednesday.
"Whatever reason drove her to this, it's going to be in God's hands," the children's uncle Tony Nunez said at a news conference. "He will be the judge of her."
Nunez didn't take questions and said his focus is on prayers for his niece. He thanked community members who have offered support.
Police have not discussed a possible motive. They said no arrests were made, and they weren't searching for any suspects.
- Report: Okla. teen vanishes while hiking in South America
- Report: NFL player questioned in death investigation
- 4 accused of holding mother, child captive in Ohio
- Atty: Martin family confident Zimmerman will be convicted
- Ariel Castro, alleged Cleveland kidnapper, appears in court
- Police: Boy, 13, killed sister, 5, with wrestling moves
- Walter Lee Williams is 500th on FBI's "Most Wanted" list
- One of US FBI's most wanted nabbed in Mexico
- Calif. widow's home broken into 14 times, says she's leaving
- Okla. inmate executed in the 2000 death of a couple
- Report: College student kept girl, 13, in his room for a month
- Cops: Fla. man beaten, robbed, left naked on first date
- Steubenville teen rapist must register as sex offender
- "Modern-day slavery" case "all lies," suspect's mom says
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, to be released
- Bulger Trial: Admitted killer Martorano calls self "nice guy"