Philadelphia boy finds loaded gun in his backpack at school, police say
(CBS/AP) PHILADELPHIA - A 7-year-old boy alerted a teacher Thursday after finding a loaded gun in his backpack at a Philadelphia elementary school, police said.
Officials at Universal Samuel Daroff Charter School told police that the boy was putting a folder in his bag during an after-school program and noticed the gun. The principal said staff immediately took the backpack and called police.
Lt. John Walker said police are conducting interviews with family members and reviewing surveillance video to figure out how the gun got into the bag.
Walker said the gun was a .38-caliber handgun loaded with five rounds of ammunition. The boy said he had his backpack with him in the classroom the entire day.
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Jury deliberates possible death sentence for Jodi Arias
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Jodi Arias talks about suicide, what she'll do with her life in prison
- Iowa Cops: Man suspected of abducting 2 girls found dead
- Mom of Hailey Dunn, missing teen found dead, speaks out
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Massive search underway for abducted teen in Iowa
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Arias to jury: Alexander's death "the worst mistake of my life"
- Cops: NC woman tried to poison family members' cheese
- Cops: Barbara Walters' daughter charged with DUI in Fla.
- Jodi Arias to speak on own behalf as jury weighs death
- Jodi Arias makes her opening statements to the jury
- Man charged with murder in case of missing Maine girl, 15
- Report: Slain Conn. student Alyssiah Wiley found dismembered