Katie Hadel, murdered Baltimore mother, was under police protection, report says
Baltimore County Police responded to Hadel's Pikesville, Md. residence Tuesday night on a report of a domestic disturbance. When they arrived, there was no answer at the door and it was locked, CBS Baltimore reports.
When police were able to enter, they found Hadel's dead body and two small children who were unharmed, according to the station. One of the children is reported to have been Hadel's daughter.
Police said Shiflett had left the apartment before they arrived. He was arrested Wednesday morning and charged with first-degree murder.
CBS Baltimore reports Hadel was married, and her husband was out of town at the time of her death. The Baltimore Sun reports Hadel's mother says her daughter was three months pregnant at the time of her death.
According to the paper, Shiflett had threatened to harm Hadel several times since his December 2012 release from prison and police were aware of the situation. The paper reports officers were regularly patrolling Hadel's mother's house, where they had advised her to stay.
Shiflett and Hadel had been in a relationship several years ago but ended things prior to Hadel getting married, the paper says.
The two were arrested together in 2007 for an alleged robbery. Hadel testified against Shiflett in the case and they were both found guilty, the paper says.
Shiflett served about four years of a five year sentence for the robbery and ever since his release, police have been trying to arrest him again on probation violations stemming from the harassment of Hadel, court records show, according to The Baltimore Sun.
The Baltimore County Police Department Homicide Unit is still actively investigating the case.
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Jodi Arias jury: We can't decide sentence
- "Anonymous" vows to petition Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Report: Alleged prison gang leader impregnated 4 guards
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Ronald Poppo, victim of "cannibal attack," thanks doctors
- Police recover backpacks of 2 kidnapped Iowa girls
- Army: Soldier charged with videotaping women at West Point
- Cops: Barbara Walters' daughter charged with DUI in Fla.
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- "Wonderful person": Funeral held for slain Hofstra student
- Friend: Man charged in missing Maine teen's death knew her
- Cops: Mom arrested for stripping during school assembly
- Massive search underway for abducted teen in Iowa
- Death of infant son of religious couple ruled homicide
- Jodi Arias to speak on own behalf as jury weighs death