Genelle Conway-Allen Update: Feds join investigation into 13-year-old's death in Calif. park, police say
(CBS) - The FBI and Department of Justice officials are aiding an investigation into the death of 13-year-old middle school student Genelle Allen-Conway, whose naked body was found at a California park Friday, Fairfield police said Wednesday.
Police released little new information at the news conference, but did clarify what they called "misinformation," CBS Sacramento reports.
Fairfield Police Chief Walt Tibbet said a previous report that detectives are looking for a silver minivan connected to the crime is not accurate and neither is a report that police were prepared to provide a sketch of the suspect.
Tibbet also said releasing the cause of death of Genelle Conway-Allen would be "hurtful to the investigation" and "devastating to the family."
According to the San Francisco Chronicle, Tibbet would not label Genelle's case an abduction, saying he didn't want to create panic.
Genelle was reported missing Thursday evening by her foster home guardian, CBS San Francisco reports. Police said her naked body was found in a parking lot near Allan Witt Park around 6:45 a.m. Friday, a few miles away from an intersection where she was last seen.
Investigators previously released a video image that captured Genelle minutes before she disappeared, Sgt. Matthew Bloesch said. The image showed Genelle at the Fairfield intersection wearing a gray sweater, blue jean-style leggings and a pink backpack.
Genelle was a student at Green Valley Middle School, CBS San Francisco reports.
At the news conference, police released a statement from Genelle's family.
"This has been a devastating tragedy for our family and community. We need to thank everyone for the outpouring of support at the memorial site," the family says in the statement.
Anyone with information in the case is urged to call the 24-hour tips line at (707) 428-7345.
More on Crimesider
February 6, 2013 - Genelle Conway-Allen Death: Police identify body of 13-year-old girl found at Calif. park, report says
February 4, 2013 - Fairfield Girl Dead: Missing 13-year-old girl found dead in Calif. park
- Hung jury in Arias penalty phase, new panel to be chosen
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- Cops: Utah teen arrested in death of his 2 brothers
- Missing Univ. of Rhode Island student found safe
- Ex-teacher on FBI 'Most Wanted' list due in court in porn case
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Iowa kidnapping suspect probed in cousins' 2012 deaths
- Fla. man accidentally calls 911 and reveals murder plan
- Third Calif. law student charged in Vegas bird killing
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Prosecutors: Accused killer Kelly Soo Park is a "flight risk"
- Ronald Poppo, victim of "cannibal attack," thanks doctors
- "Anonymous" vows to petition Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Jodi Arias jury: We can't decide sentence
- Zimmerman defense releases photos, texts of Trayvon Martin