Christopher Dorner, ex-LAPD cop suspected in double murder, reportedly opens fire on police, killing 1
(CBS/AP) LOS ANGELES - Police said a former Los Angeles cop accused of killing a college basketball coach and her fiancÚ is also suspected of ambushing two officers overnight, killing one of them.
Police are on a manhunt Thursday morning for murder suspect Christopher Dorner, who is accused of shooting 28-year-old Monica Quan and 27-year-old Keith Lawrence to death in their car on Sunday.
Riverside Lt. Guy Toussaint said officers were stopped at a red light while on routine patrol at around 1:30 a.m. Thursday when someone shot them. One of the officers was killed while the other was critically wounded.
Toussaint said investigators believe Dorner to be the shooter in Thursday's ambush. Police don't know where Dorner is but think he left the area.
Police said Dorner implicated himself in the killings in a multi-page "manifesto" that included threats against several people, including members of the LAPD.
Dorner was fired from the Los Angeles Police Department in 2009 for making a false statement against another officer.
LAPD Capt. William Hayes told The Associated Press that the victim's father, Randal Quan, represented Dorner in front of the Board of Rights, a tribunal that ruled against Dorner at the time of his dismissal. Randal Quan was a former LAPD captain who became a lawyer in retirement.
More on Crimesider
Feb. 7, 2013 - Monica Quan and Keith Lawrence Murders: Christopher Dorner, ex-cop, sought in slaying of basketball coach, fiance
Feb. 5, 2013 - Monica Quan and Keith Lawrence: Calif. college women's basketball coach and her fiance found dead inside car, report says
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Cops: Hosftra student was killed by officer's gunshot
- Arias returns to court for penalty phase of trial
- 10-year-old killed after gunmen shoot into Calif. home
- Meeting Jodi Arias: First impressions never lie, or do they?
- Police: Ex-cop once hailed as hero charged with rape
- 17-year-old charged with murdering two Ohio brothers
- Creighton Univ. professor, wife, found slain in Omaha home
- Ariel Castro's lawyer says he'll plead not guilty
- Authorities search for missing URI student
- 'Kai the hatchet-wielding hitchhiker' arrested
- Texas woman's body found 2 days after 911 call
- Cops: DNA confirms remains those of Ga. college freshman
- "The War in Chicago": A 48 Hours investigation
- Cops: Hofstra student died in police-involved shooting
- Cops: NYC man dead after "anti-gay" hate shooting