Ronell Wilson, convicted NY cop killer, impregnates prison guard in plot to save own life, report says
Prosecutors say Nancy Gonzalez, 29, was arrested Tuesday morning at her home in Long Island, New York. Gonzalez is eight months pregnant with Ronell Wilson's baby, CBS radio affiliate 1010 WINS reports.
Wilson was convicted of murdering undercover detectives Rodney Andrews and James Nemorin on Staten Island, New York in 2003. He was originally sentenced to death, but an appeals court overturned the death sentence for procedural reasons, according to CBS New York.
Wilson is facing another penalty phase trial, where a jury will again decide whether he should face death or spend life behind bars.
Sources told 1010 WINS the pregnancy was part of a plot to help Wilson avoid the death penalty.
According to the complaint, Gonzalez and Wilson had a sexual relationship between March and August of last year while she was guarding him.
Gonzalez and Wilson carried on their affair in a "vacant activity room" while Gonzalez was supposed to making her rounds, checking on inmates, the complaint said. Prosecutors said the two were caught on video talking for hours at her desk and in the kitchen, CBS New York reports.
In addition, prosecutors allege that Gonzalez carried on another relationship with a different inmate after breaking things off with Wilson.
Prosecutors claim that Gonzalez told the other prisoner "for whatever reason, I took a chance because I was so vulnerable and wanted to be loved and now I am carrying his child."
Gonzalez allegedly said she "kind of got sucked into his world" and "why not give him a child as far as giving him some kind of hope," the station reports.
According to CBS New York, Gonzalez faces up to 15 years in prison if convicted of engaging in a sexual relationship with an inmate.
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Ariel Castro's lawyer says he'll plead not guilty
- Meeting Jodi Arias: First impressions never lie, or do they?
- Jodi Arias jury finds killing merits possible death penalty
- "The War in Chicago": A 48 Hours investigation
- Creighton Univ. professor, wife, found slain in Omaha home
- 'Kai the hatchet-wielding hitchhiker' arrested
- Cops: Hofstra student died in police-involved shooting
- 17-year-old charged with murdering two Ohio brothers
- Defense lawyer: Jodi Arias will speak "about who she is"
- Arias jury hears of anguish from murder victim's family
- Cops: DNA confirms remains those of Ga. college freshman
- Texas woman's body found 2 days after 911 call
- Boy, 12, appears in court in sister's fatal stabbing
- Berlusconi "bunga bunga" parties detailed at Italian trial
- Jodi Arias: A timeline of a sensational murder case