Woman arrested in possible multi-state identity theft spree, say Colo. police
Police wouldn't elaborate on how many victims were targeted but they say the women started with mail theft and then moved on to stealing vehicles. According to CBS Denver, a number of those thefts occurred in a West Denver neighborhood located between the Highlands and Sloan's Lake.
Police say they arrested Amber Garcia, 22, after she was seen tailgating a stolen Dodge truck.
"They spotted the Dodge. They continued to follow it. [They] noticed that there was a Ford Expedition that was following very closely and there was short pursuit and as a result the Ford ended up crashing into a parked car," Park police spokeswoman Sherry Corcoran said, according to CBS Denver.
Garcia was driving the Ford Expedition that was also allegedly stolen. The vehicle was littered with mail and personal information from her victims, the station reports.
The second woman, who was driving the stolen Dodge truck, was not located. However, the vehicle was found a few hours after the chase. Authorities believe the two women were working together.
Police say they believe they know the identity of the second suspect but they are not releasing it.
CBS Denver reports the pair was allegedly stealing information from loose mail, financial documents, credit cards and medical prescriptions. Investigators also found vehicle registrations, indicating the women were breaking into cars across the metro Denver area.
Identities were stolen from victims in nine Colorado cities including Greeley, Denver, Colorado Springs and Alamosa. They were also reportedly crossing state lines because they allegedly had credit card information from victims in Kansas, Illinois and Iowa.
Police say this is a critical time for identity theft. Companies are sending w-2 forms to employees, which contain personal information and they are a prime target for thieves.
- Jury deliberates possible death sentence for Jodi Arias
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Jodi Arias, convicted killer, asks jury to spare her life
- Iowa Cops: Man suspected of abducting 2 girls found dead
- Jodi Arias makes her opening statements to the jury
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Jodi Arias talks about suicide, what she'll do with her life in prison
- Jodi Arias to speak on own behalf as jury weighs death
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Arias to jury: Alexander's death "the worst mistake of my life"
- Man charged with murder in case of missing Maine girl, 15
- Family of accidentally slain Hofstra student critical of cops
- Mom of Hailey Dunn, missing teen found dead, speaks out
- Report: Slain Conn. student Alyssiah Wiley found dismembered
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Jodi Arias: A timeline of a sensational murder case