Thief steals motor oil, 24 quarts from Calif. Costo, but can't slip away, police say
Not too slick.
CBS Los Angeles reports Jorge Sanchez, 35, was spotted about 4:30 p.m. Thursday trying to ease on out of the superstore without paying for the oil.
Store employees gave chase and officials said they lost Sanchez after he jumped a fence. Burbank Police Sgt. Darin Ryburn told the station that nine of the 24 quarts were recovered during the foot chase.
Authorities said Sanchez walked into the Costco and went straight to the oil aisle. He allegedly grabbed a couple of cases and emptied them.
Sgt. Ryburn told CBS Los Angeles, "He proceeded to hide the quarts of oil in his pants, socks, and in his shirt."
Police said he used a bungee cord to strap the bottles down.
Sanchez was later apprehended about eight blocks from the store. Officials said he was arrested on suspicion of burglary charges.
Asked about a possible motive for the theft, Ryburn said, "He apparently changes oil as his profession and it's just too expensive."
Police say when they searched Sanchez' car, they found 50 more quarts of oil. They're investigating whether those were stolen, too.
- Jury foreman: Jodi Arias "not a good witness"
- Hung jury reportedly emotional at Jodi Arias trial
- Atty.: New Trayvon Martin texts, photos are "red herrings"
- Kaitlyn Hunt rejects plea deal in underage sex case
- Cops: N.Y. girl leaves suicide note claiming she was bullied
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- Police: Boston math tutor also meth trafficker
- Hung jury in Arias penalty phase, new panel to be chosen
- Investigator: Missing Iowa teen's blood found
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Woman guilty of stabbing fiance to death on wedding day
- Swim coach Richard Curl gets 7 years for sex abuse
- Cops: Pa. couple stabbed each other over "American Idol"
- Plea deadline is today for Fla. teen Kaitlyn Hunt
- Iowa kidnapping suspect probed in cousins' 2012 deaths
- Fla. man accidentally calls 911 and reveals murder plan