Pittsburgh girl, 6, crashes car in bid to see dad
(CBS/AP) PITTSBURGH - Pittsburgh police say a 6-year-old girl stole her sleeping mother's car in an attempt to drive across town to visit her father. No one was hurt during the joyride, which ended when the girl crashing into a utility pole.
Police haven't released the name of the girl who made off with her mother's car keys about 9 a.m. Sunday.
Police Sgt. Jerry Parker tells reporters the little girl is tall for her age, but adds: "How she knew how to operate a car, your guess is as good as mine."
Some neighbors says they barely made it out of the way of the vehicle.
"When she was coming toward me, I was like, 'what is she doing?'" neighbor Rommie Hawkins said, CBS Pittsburgh reports. "I couldn't tell it was a young girl at the time, so I kind of just stepped behind the tree. She hit the curb here, then she took off and I was looking at her, that's when I saw that she was a child and I was like, "stop, stop, stop.'"
Police say the girl hit two parked vehicles, pushing one of them into a third, before hitting a utility pole. Investigators are still looking into the incident and haven't said if anyone will face charges.
Police and the girl's father arrived to take her home after the accident.
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Jodi Arias Lawyer: Defense won't call more witnesses
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Cops: Hosftra student was killed by officer's gunshot
- Report: Boyfriend charged in murder of Conn. college coed
- Police: Ex-cop once hailed as hero charged with rape
- Arias returns to court for penalty phase of trial
- Sources: Husband ordered cyanide before wife's death
- Meeting Jodi Arias: First impressions never lie, or do they?
- Jodi Arias: A timeline of a sensational murder case
- Cops: NYC man dead after "anti-gay" hate shooting
- Colorado mob attacks man thought to be sexual predator
- Ariel Castro's lawyer says he'll plead not guilty
- Authorities search for missing URI student
- Creighton Univ. professor, wife, found slain in Omaha home