Juan Garnica, Illinois man, held on $5 million bail for beating-burning death of woman, report says
(CBS) A murder suspect had his bail set at $5 million Monday for allegedly beating an Illinois woman to death with a hammer and then setting her body and car on fire, CBS Chicago reports.
Juan Garnica, 18, appeared in bond court on a first-degree murder charge in the death of 18-year-old Abigail Villalpando. Enrique Prado, 19, and 20-year-old Jose Bacerra were charged with covering up the crime. Prado's bond was set at $100,000. Bacerra has not appeared in court yet.
Villalpando was reported missing early Friday after she failed to show up for work at a Denny's Restaurant, CBS Chicago reports. Police said she went to visit Garnica and Prado at Prado's home shortly after she left her house.
Garnica then hit Villalpando several times in the head with a hammer after Prado left the room, according to police. It is unclear why Garnica started beating the young woman.
Police said Garnica then stuffed Villalpando's body into a tote container and hid it in Prado's garage, CBS Chicago reports. He later drove her vehicle a couple blocks away from Prado's home where he torched the car with Prado's help, police said.
Garnica then burned Villalpando's body in a barrel in the backyard and enlisted Bacerra's help in dumping the body, police said.
Villalpando's death was the first murder in Aurora, Ill. since December 2011, according to CBS Chicago. Police said her body was discovered Saturday morning in a wooded area near Montgomery.
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Jodi Arias jury: We can't decide sentence
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Jury deliberates possible death sentence for Jodi Arias
- "Anonymous" vows to petition Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Massive search underway for abducted teen in Iowa
- Cops: Barbara Walters' daughter charged with DUI in Fla.
- Iowa Cops: Man suspected of abducting 2 girls found dead
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Mom of Hailey Dunn, missing teen found dead, speaks out
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Jodi Arias talks about suicide, what she'll do with her life in prison
- Friend: Man charged in missing Maine teen's death knew her
- Cops: NC woman tried to poison family members' cheese
- Report: Slain Conn. student Alyssiah Wiley found dismembered
- Arias to jury: Alexander's death "the worst mistake of my life"