Fla. dad kills two sons in front of wife, spares her to suffer their loss, police say
According to police, Victoria Zavala, 36, was watching television in her Boynton Beach, Fla., home when she heard a commotion just before 2a.m. on Saturday. That's when she found Isidro Zavala, her 45-year-old estranged husband, choking one of their sons.
Victoria Zavala reportedly begged Isidro Zavala to kill her and spare the boys, but police say he told her that he would leave her alive to suffer their loss. She was not injured.
Officers found both boys dead at the scene, and they found the father dressed all in black, dead with self-inflicted gunshot wounds in the chest and head. The victims were identified as Eduardo Zavala, 12, and Mario Zavala, 11.
According to CBS Miami, police say there is no history of reports of domestic violence or abuse at the home.
The Palm Beach Post reports the couple had filed for divorce in October 2012 after nearly 20 years of marriage. They were scheduled to go to court Tuesday for a mediation hearing.
The Zavalas have a 19-year-old son who does not live at his mother's house. Investigators found a note from Zavala to his oldest son in a bag at the crime scene.
In the note, Zavala told the 19-year-old that he was a good son and to take care of himself, Boynton Beach Police Chief Matthew Immler said. The bag also contained a second gun, extra ammunition, duct tape and cutting shears.
A second note was found at Isidro Zavala's home, but police did not release its contents.
Mariana Batalla, Isidro Zavala's roommate, was quoted by the Palm Beach Post Sunday as saying the second note was addressed to him. He said Zavala left him several hundred dollars and instructions to keep his truck and work tools.
According to Batalla, he last saw Isidro Zavala on Friday evening at their house, less than a mile away from the crime scene. Batalla told the Palm Beach Post that his roommate said he couldn't attend a friend's birthday party because "he had to do something important."
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Jodi Arias to speak on own behalf as jury weighs death
- Jodi Arias, convicted killer, asks jury to spare her life
- Jodi Arias makes her opening statements to the jury
- Jury deliberates possible death sentence for Jodi Arias
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Iowa Cops: Man suspected of abducting 2 girls found dead
- Jodi Arias talks about suicide, what she'll do with her life in prison
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Family of accidentally slain Hofstra student critical of cops
- Man charged with murder in case of missing Maine girl, 15
- Arias to jury: Alexander's death "the worst mistake of my life"
- Report: Slain Conn. student Alyssiah Wiley found dismembered
- Utah police close Susan Powell case, offer new details
- Jodi Arias Lawyer: Defense won't call more witnesses
- Report: Texas girl dies after being abandoned in hot car