Sarai Sierra: Turkish authorities search for clues in New York City mother's death
The mother of two, went missing Jan. 21 while on a solo vacation in Istanbul. Her body was found 12 days later, near the remnants of some ancient city walls. Police said she had suffered a fatal blow to the head.
Police on Monday were still scouring the area where the body was found for clues, with the help of sniffer dogs, the state-run Anadolu Agency reported.
The Milliyet newspaper said a forensic medicine lab will examine samples from Sierra's fingernails as well as hair and other samples from a blanket found near her body. It said some nail scrapings suggest she may have tried to fight off her attacker.
More than a dozen people were questioned in the case but most of them have been released, Milliyet reported. It said three people were still being held for questioning.
Sierra, whose children are 9 and 11, had left for Istanbul on Jan. 7 to explore her photography hobby and made side trips to Amsterdam, Netherlands and Munich, Germany. She was to have traveled with a friend, but the friend cancelled.
Turkish police had set up a special unit to find Sierra and her husband, Steven, traveled to Istanbul last week to help in the search.
Sierra was in regular contact with friends and relatives during her vacation and had told them on Jan. 21 - the day she was due to board her plane back home - that she would visit Galata Bridge, which spans Istanbul's Golden Horn waterway, to take photos. She never checked into her flight.
Sierra's mother, Betsy Jimenez, said her two grandsons did not know what had happened to their mother.
"Their father is going to talk to them when he comes back and we'll all be there to support him," she told NBC's Today show on Monday
Jimenez said it was Sierra's first overseas visit.
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Jodi Arias to speak on own behalf as jury weighs death
- Jodi Arias Lawyer: Defense won't call more witnesses
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Report: Slain Conn. student Alyssiah Wiley found dismembered
- Cops: Hosftra student was killed by officer's gunshot
- Report: Texas girl dies after being abandoned in hot car
- Report: Boyfriend charged in murder of Conn. college coed
- Utah police close Susan Powell case, offer new details
- Police: Ex-cop once hailed as hero charged with rape
- Vegas police: Boy, 15, murdered over iPad
- City sues "Robin Hood" group that prevents parking tickets
- Sources: Husband ordered cyanide before wife's death
- Official: College student faked kidnapping due to bad grade