Fairfield Girl Dead: Missing 13-year-old girl found dead in Calif. park
A passerby discovered the girl's naked body a little before 7 a.m. Friday in the city's Alan Witt Park and flagged down a police officer who was driving by, Fairfield Police Officer Cleo Mayoral said Saturday.
An autopsy was performed, but police did not release the girl's name or her cause of death. Mayoral said there were no obvious signs of trauma to the girl when she was found.
"I thought to myself, that looked like a mannequin, didn't look like a human body," the passerby, Eric May, told KTVU-TV.
The girl was reported missing around 5:45 p.m. Thursday by her guardian at a foster home in nearby Suisun City. That city's police Cmdr. Tim Mattos told the Daily Republic that the guardian last saw her board a school bus. He said she was in class all day and was expected home around 4 p.m.
He called the discovery of the dead child "a shock to our system."
No suspect or suspects have been identified, but detectives were canvassing neighborhoods and checking video images from surveillance cameras as part of their investigation, Mayoral said.
Sacramento television station CBS13 reported the girl attended Green Valley Middle School, which is about eight miles from the park.
School Principal Gregg Hubbs declined to comment on the girl's death.
- 4 accused of holding mother, child captive in Ohio
- Walter Lee Williams is 500th on FBI's "Most Wanted" list
- Victim in Utah church shooting expected to survive
- Report: College student kept girl, 13, in his room for a month
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, to be released
- Bulger Trial: Admitted killer Martorano calls self "nice guy"
- N.M. Police: Grandmother unmasks robber, finds grandson
- Italian high court gives reason for new Knox trial
- Mother beats man she believes molested her kids
- Univ. of Chicago student missing for five days
- Cops: Calif. math teacher had sex with boy multiple times
- Search for missing woman, 19, in Tempe, Ariz.
- Report: Child sex sting in Florida nets 41 arrests
- Digging resumes for Jimmy Hoffa remains today
- Cops: Utah man shoots father-in-law during Mass
- Affidavit: Drug deal led to murder of Ind. teen