Atlanta School Shooting Update: Gang dispute was behind gunfire that wounded teen, police say
Atlanta Police Chief George Turner, Mayor Kasim Reed and school officials on Friday confirmed the shooting that wounded one student stemmed from an argument between two gangs, the station reports.
It is unknown if the shooting victim, Telvis Douglas, 14, was the intended target or whether he was involved in a gang, according to CBS Atlanta.
Douglas was shot in the back of the neck in a courtyard outside Price Middle School in southeast Atlanta by a 15-year-old male student just before 2p.m. Thursday, police say. An off-duty Atlanta police officer working as a school resource officer was able to get the suspect to drop the gun before he was arrested, the chief said.
Douglas was released from the hospital Thursday night, according to CBS Atlanta. The suspect, another student, was taken into custody at the scene.
In the press conference held Friday afternoon, school officials were questioned about how the suspect got the gun onto Price's campus, and whether or not they could confirm that the school's metal detectors were working on Thursday.
School officials aid they were investigating whether or not the detectors were operating properly, but would not comment any further.
Turner, the police chief, said Friday that the Fulton County district attorney would decide whether to charge the suspect as a juvenile or an adult. Police were not releasing his name for fear of retaliatory acts against him, CBS Atlanta reports.
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Jury deliberates possible death sentence for Jodi Arias
- Jodi Arias talks about suicide, what she'll do with her life in prison
- Iowa Cops: Man suspected of abducting 2 girls found dead
- Mom of Hailey Dunn, missing teen found dead, speaks out
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Massive search underway for abducted teen in Iowa
- Cops: Barbara Walters' daughter charged with DUI in Fla.
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Arias to jury: Alexander's death "the worst mistake of my life"
- Cops: NC woman tried to poison family members' cheese
- Man charged with murder in case of missing Maine girl, 15
- Jodi Arias to speak on own behalf as jury weighs death
- Report: Slain Conn. student Alyssiah Wiley found dismembered
- Jodi Arias makes her opening statements to the jury