Atlanta School Shooting Update: Gang dispute was behind gunfire that wounded teen, police say
Atlanta Police Chief George Turner, Mayor Kasim Reed and school officials on Friday confirmed the shooting that wounded one student stemmed from an argument between two gangs, the station reports.
It is unknown if the shooting victim, Telvis Douglas, 14, was the intended target or whether he was involved in a gang, according to CBS Atlanta.
Douglas was shot in the back of the neck in a courtyard outside Price Middle School in southeast Atlanta by a 15-year-old male student just before 2p.m. Thursday, police say. An off-duty Atlanta police officer working as a school resource officer was able to get the suspect to drop the gun before he was arrested, the chief said.
Douglas was released from the hospital Thursday night, according to CBS Atlanta. The suspect, another student, was taken into custody at the scene.
In the press conference held Friday afternoon, school officials were questioned about how the suspect got the gun onto Price's campus, and whether or not they could confirm that the school's metal detectors were working on Thursday.
School officials aid they were investigating whether or not the detectors were operating properly, but would not comment any further.
Turner, the police chief, said Friday that the Fulton County district attorney would decide whether to charge the suspect as a juvenile or an adult. Police were not releasing his name for fear of retaliatory acts against him, CBS Atlanta reports.
- Report: Okla. teen vanishes while hiking in South America
- Report: NFL player questioned in death investigation
- Report: NFL player not ruled out as suspect in murder probe
- Atty: Martin family confident Zimmerman will be convicted
- Ex-Playmate pleads guilty in immigrant smuggling case
- 4 accused of holding mother, child captive in Ohio
- Ariel Castro, alleged Cleveland kidnapper, appears in court
- Police: Boy, 13, killed sister, 5, with wrestling moves
- Okla. inmate executed in the 2000 death of a couple
- One of US FBI's most wanted nabbed in Mexico
- Report: College student kept girl, 13, in his room for a month
- Calif. widow's home broken into 14 times, says she's leaving
- "Modern-day slavery" case "all lies," suspect's mom says
- Cops: Fla. man beaten, robbed, left naked on first date
- Steubenville teen rapist must register as sex offender
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, to be released