Alabama Standoff: Photo released of Jimmy Lee Dykes, man accused of holding 5-year-old hostage
(CBS/AP) MIDLAND CITY, Ala. - Police have released a photo of the man they say is holding a 5-year-old boy hostage in an underground bunker on his rural Alabama property.
Jimmy Lee Dykes, 65, allegedly shot a school bus driver to death Tuesday, grabbed the kindergartner, and slipped into the bunker, which reportedly has electricity, food, and TV.
The standoff between police and Dykes dragged into a fourth day on Friday, as authorities sought to continue delicate conversations with the man through a pipe and worked to safely end the tense situation.
Police have delivered the boy's medication through a 4-inch-wide ventilation pipe leading to the bunker.
Hostage negotiators have used the pipe to talk to the gunman, identified by neighbors as Jimmy Lee Dykes, but investigators have been tightlipped about their conversations.
- Jodi Arias to speak on own behalf as jury weighs death
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Jodi Arias, convicted killer, asks jury to spare her life
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Jodi Arias makes her opening statements to the jury
- Jodi Arias Lawyer: Defense won't call more witnesses
- Jury deliberates possible death sentence for Jodi Arias
- Iowa Cops: Man suspected of abducting 2 girls found dead
- Jodi Arias talks about suicide, what she'll do with her life in prison
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Family of accidentally slain Hofstra student critical of cops
- Man charged with murder in case of missing Maine girl, 15
- Utah police close Susan Powell case, offer new details
- Report: Texas girl dies after being abandoned in hot car
- Report: Slain Conn. student Alyssiah Wiley found dismembered
- Jodi Arias: A timeline of a sensational murder case