Ga. high school teacher charged with seven counts of child sexual assault
The 32-year-old was arrested Tuesday after turning herself in. She is facing seven counts of child sex abuse and has reportedly resigned from her job.
Former student Cody Stebbins, called the allegations "mind-blowing."
"There were rumors, but I didn't believe them," Stebbins told WTEV.
The Superintendent of Charlton County Schools told the station that Wilson had worked with the district since 2003 and had never had any disciplinary problems.
In Wilson's resignation letter she wrote, "Due to the circumstances at hand, I am writing to inform you of my resignation from my teaching position at Charlton County High School. Please know that I am very sorry for my actions and the fact that I have let so many people down."
According to an investigator on the case, the alleged activity had been going on for more than a year before the school board received a tip from an unknown source, CBS affiliate WTSP reports.
Wilson was released from jail Wednesday evening on a $35,000 bond.
District Attorney Rick Currie says each count Wilson is charged with carries a sentence of one to 25 years in prison, WTSP reports.
The age of consent in Georgia is 16, but does not apply to teachers because of their supervisory role with students.
- Hung jury reportedly emotional at Jodi Arias trial
- Hung jury in Arias penalty phase, new panel to be chosen
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- Missing Univ. of Rhode Island student found safe
- Woman guilty of stabbing fiance to death on wedding day
- Cops: Pa. couple stabbed each other over "American Idol"
- Investigator: Missing Iowa teen's blood found
- Fla. man accidentally calls 911 and reveals murder plan
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Plea deadline is today for Fla. teen Kaitlyn Hunt
- Cops: Utah teen arrested in death of his 2 brothers
- Iowa kidnapping suspect probed in cousins' 2012 deaths
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Prosecutors: Accused killer Kelly Soo Park is a "flight risk"
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Zimmerman defense releases photos, texts of Trayvon Martin