Bill "El Wingador" Simmons, chicken wing eating champ, indicted for drugs, report says
(CBS) A New Jersey man who is a five-time winner of the annual chicken wing eating contest called the Wing Bowl was indicted on drug charges Thursday, one day ahead of this year's competition in Philadelphia, The Philadelphia Inquirer reports.
Bill "El Wingador" Simmons, 51, was indicted on four counts of possession of a controlled dangerous substance and one count of distributing cocaine after his June 2012 arrest for multiple drug-related offenses, according to the Gloucester County Prosecutor's Office.
Simmons issued an apologetic statement following his release Monday on $100,000 bail, and praised Gov. Chris Christie's efforts to push for mandatory drug treatment for nonviolent offenders, according to the Inquirer.
He said his 10 days spent in jail was a "life-changing experience," the newspaper reports.
Police said they found $8,000 worth of powder cocaine and $4,000 in cash in Simmons' car upon his arrest on June 15, 2012. Simmons said in a statement that he did not rebut the charges facing him, and apologized to his family and friends, according to the Inquirer.
Radio talk show host and Wing Bowl cofounder Angelo Cataldi said Simmons would not be allowed in this year's eating contest, according to the newspaper.
More on Crimesider
June 29, 2012 - Wing-eating champion Bill Simmons, jailed on drug charges, turns advocate for nonviolent offenders
June 20, 2012 - Wing eating champion William 'El Wingador' Simmons arrested on drug charges
- Jury foreman: Jodi Arias "not a good witness"
- Atty.: New Trayvon Martin texts, photos are "red herrings"
- Hung jury reportedly emotional at Jodi Arias trial
- Cops: N.Y. girl leaves suicide note claiming she was bullied
- Kaitlyn Hunt rejects plea deal in underage sex case
- Hung jury in Arias penalty phase, new panel to be chosen
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- W.Va. girl pleads guilty in the killing of Skylar Neese, 16
- School security guard allegedly pushes girl down stairs
- Investigator: Missing Iowa teen's blood found
- Woman guilty of stabbing fiance to death on wedding day
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Fla. man accidentally calls 911 and reveals murder plan
- Police: Boston math tutor also meth trafficker
- Plea deadline is today for Fla. teen Kaitlyn Hunt
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship