Sarai Sierra Missing: Turkish police detain man over missing NYC woman, official says
(CBS/AP) ANKARA, Turkey - Istanbul police detained a man Friday who exchanged online messages with New York woman Sarai Sierra prior to her disappearance.
Sierra, a 33-year-old mother of two, went missing while vacationing alone in Istanbul. Her family said she was last heard from on Jan. 21, the day she was due back home in New York City, but she never checked into her flight.
A police official in Istanbul told The Associated Press under condition of anonymity that police questioned a man who was in contact with Sierra during her stay in the city. The official refused to identify him or provide further details on the arrest.
Turkish news reports said Sierra arranged to meet her contact on a bridge she planned to photograph on the day she went missing. It is unknown if the meeting had taken place.
Sierra left for Istanbul on Jan. 7 to explore her photography hobby and made a side trip to Amsterdam, Netherlands, and Munich, Germany. She planned to on the trip with a friend, but went alone when the friend couldn't make it.
Sierra's husband, Steven, and brother, David Jimenez, traveled to Istanbul to help in the search. Sierra's children are 9 and 11.
- Report: Okla. teen vanishes while hiking in South America
- Ex-Playmate pleads guilty in immigrant smuggling case
- Report: NFL player not ruled out as suspect in murder probe
- Report: NFL player questioned in death investigation
- Ariel Castro, alleged Cleveland kidnapper, appears in court
- Atty: Martin family confident Zimmerman will be convicted
- "Modern-day slavery" case "all lies," suspect's mom says
- Okla. inmate executed in the 2000 death of a couple
- Calif. widow's home broken into 14 times, says she's leaving
- Report: College student kept girl, 13, in his room for a month
- FBI finds possible human remains at mobster's former home
- Police: Boy, 13, killed sister, 5, with wrestling moves
- 4 accused of holding mother, child captive in Ohio
- Steubenville teen rapist must register as sex offender
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, to be released
- One of US FBI's most wanted nabbed in Mexico