Texas prosecutor killed near courthouse, report says
The shooting occurred just before 9 a.m. Thursday outside a building across from the main Kaufman County courthouse. Authorities say two suspects in the shooting are being sought. No motive has been released.
The name of the prosecutor was not immediately announced, pending notification of the family.
According to CBS DFW, officials from the Kaufman Police Department, Kaufman County Sheriff's Department, and the Texas Rangers are all working the case.
Initially the Kaufman County Courthouse was placed on lockdown, but around 10:30 a.m. officials closed the building and sent employees home.
CBS DFW reports state troopers have confirmed that an all points bulletin has been put out for two males, wearing all black clothing and tactical vests. The men are believed to be driving a silver-colored, late-model Ford Taurus with no license plates on the vehicle.
As a precaution administrators have put the entire Kaufman Independent School District on full lockdown "until further notice."
At a news conference, local law enforcement officials decried the shooting as an attack on the criminal justice system.
Sheriff David Byrnes says shooting a prosecutor is "the next level, you are not supposed to attack this level."
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Jodi Arias to speak on own behalf as jury weighs death
- Jodi Arias, convicted killer, asks jury to spare her life
- Jodi Arias makes her opening statements to the jury
- Jury deliberates possible death sentence for Jodi Arias
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Iowa Cops: Man suspected of abducting 2 girls found dead
- Jodi Arias talks about suicide, what she'll do with her life in prison
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Jodi Arias Lawyer: Defense won't call more witnesses
- Family of accidentally slain Hofstra student critical of cops
- Man charged with murder in case of missing Maine girl, 15
- Arias to jury: Alexander's death "the worst mistake of my life"
- Utah police close Susan Powell case, offer new details
- Report: Slain Conn. student Alyssiah Wiley found dismembered
- Report: Texas girl dies after being abandoned in hot car