Return to "48 Hours on Crack Street": Ex-addict reflects on life in the '80s, tells how he beat crack
(CBS) - Twenty five years ago, a slim, smooth-talking addict named Clarence approached "48 Hours" correspondent Bernard Goldberg and tried to sell him some crack.
"I can get the good crack," he said, in full view of CBS cameras.
Goldberg was reporting for the very first episode of "48 Hours," called "48 Hours on Crack Street." The two-hour primetime special exposed the dark and dangerous world of the nation's ballooning crack epidemic - an epidemic that would change our nation's drug laws, destroy neighborhoods, and ruin lives.
"48 Hours" cameras caught people brazenly getting high on the streets of New York City, overdosing in filthy "crack houses," and crowding hospital ERs with seizures and heart attacks induced by the powerful, cheap drug.
Clarence was just one of many. Most viewers probably assumed that by now, he'd be dead.
But Clarence is very much alive, and in November, "48 Hours" brought him back to New York. He hadn't been to the city since 1989, and, as he put it "a lot has changed."
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Jury deliberates possible death sentence for Jodi Arias
- Iowa Cops: Man suspected of abducting 2 girls found dead
- Jodi Arias talks about suicide, what she'll do with her life in prison
- Mom of Hailey Dunn, missing teen found dead, speaks out
- Massive search underway for abducted teen in Iowa
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Cops: Barbara Walters' daughter charged with DUI in Fla.
- "Anonymous" vows to petition Kaitlyn Hunt case
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Cops: NC woman tried to poison family members' cheese
- Arias to jury: Alexander's death "the worst mistake of my life"
- Jodi Arias to speak on own behalf as jury weighs death
- Man charged with murder in case of missing Maine girl, 15
- Report: Slain Conn. student Alyssiah Wiley found dismembered