Hadiya Pendleton Murder: Teen girl who performed at President Obama's inauguration fatally shot at Chicago park, report says
(CBS) -- A teenage girl who performed at President Obama's inauguration with her high school band earlier this month was shot to death Tuesday afternoon at a Chicago park, CBS Chicago reports.
Police said 15-year-old Hadiya Pendleton was taking shelter from the rain under a canopy at the park with about 12 other teenagers when a man jumped a fence, ran up to them and opened fire. The gunman then fled the scene in an automobile.
Hadiya was shot once in the back and died at University of Chicago Comer Children's Hospital less than an hour later, CBS Chicago reports. An unidentified teenage boy was shot in the leg and is being treated at the hospital.
No arrests have been made.
Hadiya was an honor student, volleyball player and majorette at King College Prep High School, according to CBS Chicago. She performed with her high school band at the presidential inauguration in Washington last week.
Police said Hadiya had no gang affiliation and likely was not targeted in the shooting attack. However, several of the teens who were with her at the time were believed to be gang members, CBS Chicago reports.
- Missing Univ. of Chicago student's body found in lake
- FBI finds possible human remains at mobster's former home
- Ex-Playmate pleads guilty in immigrant smuggling case
- Mother of La. girl allegedly killed by brother speaks out
- Report: Okla. teen vanishes while hiking in South America
- Ariel Castro, alleged Cleveland kidnapper, appears in court
- Cleveland kidnap victims may get state govt. payments
- Calif. teen, once honored, now murder suspect, cops say
- Steubenville teen rapist must register as sex offender
- Report: NFL player not ruled out as suspect in murder probe
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, to be released
- Report: Calif. man stabs father, cuts off his own hands
- Report: College student kept girl, 13, in his room for a month
- Chicago dad gets prison for binding kids outside Wal-Mart
- Report: 2 NY men arrested in alleged radiation terror plot
- "Modern-day slavery" case "all lies," suspect's mom says