N.M. couple arrested after 8-year-old girl found locked in cage, police say
Patriarchias, 33, and Gonzales, 37, are both charged with child abuse.
Police say they received a call that the 8-year-old was being left home alone Jan. 25. When officers responded to the scene, they searched the home and found the girl inside a wooden cage that measured about 2 feet by 5 feet, KRQE reports.
The mother told police she left the girl in the cage while she took her other three kids to watch a movie, according to the station.
Police say Patriarchias was in the process of adopting the 8-year-old who suffers from microcephaly, a condition that leaves a person's head much smaller than normal. The condition also results in developmental problems, the station says.
The girl didn't appear to have any physical injuries, police said. She was placed under the care of New Mexico's child-protection agency.
- Jodi Arias jury: We can't decide sentence
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- "Anonymous" vows to petition Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Jury deliberates possible death sentence for Jodi Arias
- Cops: Barbara Walters' daughter charged with DUI in Fla.
- Massive search underway for abducted teen in Iowa
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Friend: Man charged in missing Maine teen's death knew her
- Iowa Cops: Man suspected of abducting 2 girls found dead
- Mom of Hailey Dunn, missing teen found dead, speaks out
- "Wonderful person": Funeral held for slain Hofstra student
- Cops: NC woman tried to poison family members' cheese
- Death of infant son of religious couple ruled homicide
- Report: Slain Conn. student Alyssiah Wiley found dismembered